Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
G-3 appears to be March 77 and I -4 appears to be April 79. Have a look at the vintage trek web site and see if you come to the same conclusion.
Yes it does look as if they are the dates... but it says they could be plus or minus a year, so I think the bike could well be a 1978 model? (one of the first I-4 markings and an 'old stock' G-3)

Edit: Or possibly one crank has been replaced.

It seems as though as Ernie Clements cycles were made alongside Falcon cycles for a number of years using the same script "Designed by Ernie Clements" on the crossbar also using some of the same names .

I noticed that the Falcon script on the down tube had altered and could be a way of identifying early bikes . I noticed that the horizontal bars on the letter F are more or less equal in length. This was changed to have the top bar much longer overlapping the letter A . This new style appears in the 1960 main header of the catalogue and on the teams T shirts, yet the cycles in the catalogue feature the old style transfers.
I thought I would pass on this observation .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just to add some more information just picked up this Falcon no idea what model . But original rear hub is dated late 79 and with Shimano 600 mechanism's looks about right.

Just a shame the down tube is wrinkled from I can only presume a previous front impact.

Last edited:
Just to add some more information just picked up this Falcon no idea what model . But original rear hub is dated late 79 and with Shimano 600 mechanism's looks about right.
View attachment 495702

View attachment 495703

View attachment 495704 View attachment 495702

View attachment 495703

View attachment 495704

Just a shame the down tube is wrinkled from I can only presume a previous front impact.
I thought the forks looked a tad slopy backwards !
Quite simple to straighten ! You just need an old axle to put in the front forks, something to push against on the BB , a bottle jack and a length of wood .

Last edited:
OP
OP
southcoast

southcoast

Über Member
Appears to be a post code and a serial number. Looks like it may be a November 79 bike, possibly a Majorca. Has the stand caused any damage to the chainstays?

midlife

Guru
Good shout on the Majorca :smile:

OP
OP
southcoast

southcoast

Über Member
I was wondering if it was built after Ernie Clements left to set up his own factory in Wales which would take it into the 80's ?
I think it was made when Ernie was still with Falcon. I don’t think it was made in Wales.
Is there a head badge?

Last edited:
Top Bottom