Vintage women's raleigh .. help on model

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Having major hassle getting them out I know that much!! Need to knock up a press type tool as I'm struggling to see any for sale
Try standing on the pedals as though pedalling in reverse. May free them slightly.

Other than that, support the crank from below, with minimal access for the head of the pins. Undo the nuts on the pins to the end hit with a hammer.

OP
OP
Yamyamsteve

Yamyamsteve

Regular
Try standing on the pedals as though pedalling in reverse. May free them slightly.

Other than that, support the crank from below, with minimal access for the head of the pins. Undo the nuts on the pins to the end hit with a hammer.
Already resorted to the hammer tactic with no luck as of yet will try standing on pedals gonna need to replace them anyway as there already showing signs of "hammmer fatigue"

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Do you really want to do a 'period' resto job on the bike or would you improve it a touch, this bike originally had a steel cottered crank but I converted it to an aluminium square taper crank (and dropped a good couple of pounds in weight doing so)

DSCN0037.JPG

I left the chainguard off through choice but it can be fitted.

One 'snag' is that the threads will not be the same as a modern (BSA thread) bottom bracket but if the cups are retained from the cottered one they can be reused with a square taper shaft

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yamyamsteve

Yamyamsteve

Regular
the only ones i have seen for sale have been silly money..let me know if you do..:okay:
Was thinking something basic like block of steel with a nut welded onto it at each end then a bolt through the one nut to push cotter pin out seen something similar on net

OP
OP
Yamyamsteve

Yamyamsteve

Regular
Do you really want to do a 'period' resto job on the bike or would you improve it a touch, this bike originally had a steel cottered crank but I converted it to an aluminium square taper crank (and dropped a good couple of pounds in weight doing so)

View attachment 334988

I left the chainguard off through choice but it can be fitted.

One 'snag' is that the threads will not be the same as a modern (BSA thread) bottom bracket but if the cups are retained from the cottered one they can be reused with a square taper shaft
Wanted to leave as original as possible to keep cost and the hassle as much as anything to a minimum this is my first restoration so trying to keep it simple

scarygerbil

this is a video showing how to make a cotter pin removal tool
http://www.rjthebikeguy.com/videos/how-to-make-a-cheap-easy-cotter-pin-press-for-cottered-cranks/
if you can make these i think you could have a captured market here

OP
OP
Yamyamsteve

Yamyamsteve

Regular
IMG_8419.JPG
Today's effort .... still not budging and bent the clamp in the process at this rate I'll have to admit defeat and take to bike shop !!

OP
OP
Yamyamsteve

Yamyamsteve

Regular
Well the chap at hlloyds has got back to me today and they have the same decals he reckons the light blue has been painted on which makes sense as can see the dark blue through the scratches .... bike is at the charity bike shop having the cotter pins removed from crank £12 an hour labour fee .... bargain (I admitted defeat )

Top Bottom