Vinyl suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I was thinking about getting some vinyl. I got rid of most of my LPs when I was younger, which I sort of regret, especially my Marillion Fugazi album. I've bought a few since, but I wonder what else I might get.

So far I am considering:
  • Doolittle - The Pixies
  • The People Who Grinned Themselves to Death - The Housemartins
  • Odelay - Beck
  • War of the Worlds - Jeff Wayne
  • The Violent Femmes - The Violent Femmes
Maybe some American blue grass, because I've been listening to some Earl Scruggs lately. Which is Joan Baez's best album?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Go get Marillions latest, F.E.A.R. on vinyl, failing that, Marbles.

Drago

Legendary Member
Led Zeppelin IV

Dire Straits - Dire Straits.

Creedence - Cosmo's Factory.

Rick Derringer - All American Boy.

Beach Boys -Pet Sounds.

Boston - Third Stage.

Some great albums. Not necessarily the best albums ever, but they all sound stunning on vinyl.

image.png
Wish Santa had bought me this on vinyl! I might have Fugazi as a friend gave me a load of 80s records, if so you are more than welcome to it @YellowFang.

Seevio

Guru
There is a certain experience when listening to LPs including the whole thing of turning the record over and looking at the sleeve. This can't be ignored.

However, if you just want the sounds, the world has moved on from vinyl.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Vinyl albums sound better.

Yellow Fang - check out the second hand market around your way. I can buy them in Bedford in near mint condition for about £5-£8 each.

Seevio

Guru
Vinyl albums sound better.
No, the experience of playing a vinyl albums is (subjectively) better. The sound can easily be reproduced by digital media.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
No, the experience of playing a vinyl albums is (subjectively) better. The sound can easily be reproduced by digital media.

Convenience is important, so MP3s are my chosen media, or FLACs if I want to ramp up the volume.

However, I have done a side-by-side comparison of CD and vinyl. CDs might have the cleaner sound but vinyl definitely has some extra quality to the sound, which I'll call "richness" until an audiophile comes along and explains it better.

Top Bottom