England : Tyne and Wear Virgin Money Cyclone 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Is anyone doing this? I did the 63 mile route last year and found it a really good, well organised event. I've signed up for the full 104 mile ride this time round. Nearly 8000ft of climbing apparently.

What are the hardest hills on the route?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hi Hip Priest. I'm doing the 104 (this will be my fifth time doing that, and I did the 63 miler in 2008).

What are the hardest hills on the route?

Well, it's all relative to your experience I guess. Earlier I was looking back at some old posts/threads about the Ryals... first time I did them was hard, but I've done them 3 times this year so far, and no probs. However, last year, I stupidly did the cyclone with a hangover and had to walk a bit on the first Ryal. :whistle: Won't be doing that again!

Otherwise there's Ritton Bank, which is the first big hill, at about 21 miles or so. Short, but steepish. Saw a bloke break a chain halfway up last year, and smack his nuts on his bike :ohmy: Again, I ride this hill regularly, so it's not a prob. for me.
Billsmoor, about 45 miles in is another fairly big one (and yet again, without boasting, it's a regular ride for me). There's a long slow biggy at about 60 miles, or just before. Then the Ryals.

But I guess the wind needs to play ball. Hopefully by being absent.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Thanks mate. Ritton Bank is a regular for me too. Not tried Bilsmoor, yet, but I'm going to recce the Ryals on Saturday. I've never made it over the first steep bit without walking, but I'm fitter now than last time I tried.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Otherwise there's Ritton Bank, which is the first big hill, at about 21 miles or so. Short, but steepish. Saw a bloke break a chain halfway up last year, and smack his nuts on his bike :ohmy:
:eek::wacko:

When I was 16.5 stone in weight, I used to live in dread of having that happen on one of the steep climbs round here! :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
:eek::wacko:

When I was 16.5 stone in weight, I used to live in dread of having that happen on one of the steep climbs round here! :laugh:
I've never done it due to a broken chain, but I was riding my singlespeed bike in Coventry when a moronic motorist insisted on a tight overtake as I was turning left at a junction. He forced me right in by the kerb and my front wheel disappeared into a puddle. I'd had my suspicions about it and they turned out to be well-founded. The puddle was filling a deep pothole which stopped my bike dead but I shot forwards and clattered my nuts on the handlebar stem ... I was not a happy bunny! :cursing:

carolonabike

I hate Ritton Bank, I call it the Hill of Doom :laugh:. Billsmoor, the Gibbet and the Ryals are all longer but for some reason, for me, Ritton Bank just seems worse. I think it's because of the nasty extra steep bit just before the top.
I usually do the 64 mile route but this year I'm doing the 33 with my son. He's been prevaricating for a few weeks so last night I just entered us both online then told him it was a done deal. He doesn't cycle, he has a nice bike (dad's old Boardman road bike) and makes all the right noises but it never translates into action so this will be a bit of a challenge for him. He's pretty fit and cycled with us in his teens though so I'm confident I can get him round without too much trouble.
So I'll be the woman cycling along with a twenty something behind me throwing a teenage strop near the end ^_^

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
The fact that someone finds Ritton Bank tougher than The Ryals is very reassuring. I don't know what gradient Ritton is at the steepest point, but it seems much steeper than the 12% it says on Strava.

The climb after Forestburn Gate on the 63 mile one is tough. It doesn't look that steep, but it's a proper long grind.

carolonabike

The Ryals are undoubtedly longer but there's just something about that last section of Ritton Bank that's a real killer.
Yes, I'd forgotten about the hill up to Fontburn, it is a bit mean. But the view when you get to the top makes up for it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
On the 104, I've heard a few non locals groan in fear when they spot the big hill, Garleigh, just before Rothbury, but it's a lot easier than it looks from afar.

AndyRM

XOXO
The first year I did the Cyclone I was new to cycling and didn't appreciate how to change gear properly.

I ground to a halt half way up Ritton Bank and fell into the verge. Got cramp going up the Ryals and had to walk the first one. The second is tame in comparison, but I wouldn't fear them like I used to.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Just looked at my stats for the last 3 years. I'm slower each year :eek:
I'm also nearly 2 stone heavier now than I was in 2010 :eek:

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
I ground to a halt half way up Ritton Bank and fell into the verge. Got cramp going up the Ryals and had to walk the first one. The second is tame in comparison, but I wouldn't fear them like I used to.

I have a terrible fear of the first ryal climb. My legs go to jelly. I need to get the monkey off my back! The second climb is relatively easy. I've stayed in the saddle all the times I've done it. Mind, my legs have always had a rest due to walking up the first!

AndyRM

XOXO
I have a terrible fear of the first ryal climb. My legs go to jelly. I need to get the monkey off my back! The second climb is relatively easy. I've stayed in the saddle all the times I've done it. Mind, my legs have always had a rest due to walking up the first!

Free your mind. Your legs will follow*!

I'm just hoping to get round with no mechanical disasters. First year I ended up just past the Ryals with an inner-tube riddled with holes and only had one spare, I was rescued by Emma Silversides who was doing a recce of the route for the Curlew Cup.

Next year I took 3 spares, and my rear tyre split just after the feed station at the church hall. Sat about waiting for the emergency van who sorted me out.

So, checklist for this year will include a spare tyre, which seems ridiculous.

*May not actually be true.

Siegfried

I don't remember any of the hills as being really individually hard but some of them are a bit long and there are a lot of them so it's quite a wearing ride overall. I think the main problem people had last year was not the hills but the aftermath of the storm a couple of days before which left so much debris on the roads I think those of us who got round without a flat counted ourselves as having had a pretty blessed day out on the bike. There was one hill that did seem to go on and on, around about Otterburn. I asked the rider next to me what it was called and he said 'Ah call it a b*****d!'. I think that must have been the scottish name for it, with us not being very far from the border, as I couldn't find it on the english OS map when I got home. I would say that if you're doing it for the first time you're going to be going up and down all day so just relax and enjoy the scenery because when you've got over the hill you're on right now there's another one coming right up after it so there's no point in rushing.

Top Bottom