England : Tyne and Wear Virgin Money Cyclone 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I had a nice (if a bit chilly* at times) 85 miler today, including the Ryals... plenty of peeps on or near the Ryals (I passed a few :thumbsup:), but some going down them, the cheats.

*I started out at 7.15am :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
I had a nice (if a bit chilly* at times) 85 miler today, including the Ryals... plenty of peeps on or near the Ryals (I passed a few :thumbsup:), but some going down them, the cheats.

*I started out at 7.15am :thumbsup:

Good man! I was out early too. Did a 52 miler including Ritton Bank, Forestburn Gate and whatnot.

I gave it the beans up Ritton, and passed two mountain bikers as I crested the steepest bit. I turned round briefly to say 'good morning' but I was breathing too hard to talk and just kind of made a noise at them. I must've seemed a right weirdo.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I have decided* to wear my CycleChat jersey this year, so come and say hello if you see me (black version of CC jersey, on a red road bike)

*I tried it on and it still sort of fits :thumbsup:

AndyRM

XOXO
My 'training' has so far been an absolute disaster. Hopefully I'll be able to get out after work and do the short course just so I've got a bit more distance in my legs...

I'll be the knackered guy on a Kona wearing a Team Virgin Money top. Probably with Anthony Nolan logos on, but I've not seen it yet!

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
I'll definitely keep an eye out for you chaps! My training has gone reasonably well. I headed out to Derwent Resevoir and back last weekend. 70 miles with 4800ft of climbing, including a few steep bits. I figure that's the sort of terrain the 104 miler will cover, so its given me a bit of a confidence boost.

I'll be the tall, overweight bloke on a Carrera road bike.

AndyRM

XOXO
Finally got a decent distance in. 100km in some pretty filthy conditions earlier.

My back is f*cked due to an overly long stem. Hopefully I can get a new one before Saturday.

Looking forward to it a lot more now that I've got my psychology sorted out! Didn't think I'd be able to do it, but my wife pointed out that I basically ride 20 miles every day so I was just being an idiot.

She is a wise woman.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I was out for my last weekend ride before the big event. Got 46 miles in today (I was wearing my CC shirt too...anyone see me?)
Went out to Cambo via Scots Gap, then back in to Rothley, Forestburn gate, Lordenshaws/Simonside/Tosson to Rothbury, then back home via Forsetburn again, Netherwitton, Pigdon and Morpeth

Got very wet in the rain, then very dry in the ensuing sun. Mind you, my cycling shoes are soaked through still!

AndyRM

XOXO
I was out for my last weekend ride before the big event. Got 46 miles in today (I was wearing my CC shirt too...anyone see me?)
Went out to Cambo via Scots Gap, then back in to Rothley, Forestburn gate, Lordenshaws/Simonside/Tosson to Rothbury, then back home via Forsetburn again, Netherwitton, Pigdon and Morpeth

Got very wet in the rain, then very dry in the ensuing sun. Mind you, my cycling shoes are soaked through still!

We took in a fair few of those spots but not sure that I saw you. If you saw a couple of gents, one on a Trek hybrid and another on a Ribble, that was us!

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran

Some good hill work there! My final training ride was yesterday. I went out on a 35 mile route with no major climbs. Averaged 18.4mph. I'm a bit of an idiot really. Training for a hilly endurance ride with a short, flat out TT effort!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Anyone going to sign up on Friday PM? I should be there around 4PM, I reckon. I'll have my blue commuter/tourer (not the bike I'm doing the ride on) and I'll be proudly sporting my Cycle Chat top. Come and say 'hi' if you spot me. I look like my avatar, but with a bit more (not much more) hair. :smile:

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Yeah, I'm dropping into Leazes on the way home to register. I'll keep an eye out.

What sort of time do you normally complete the 104 miler in Fnaar?

Top Bottom