'Virtual Glastonbury'? Anyone missing the real thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Sleaford Mods were very animated. You always know what you're going to get and they always deliver. I wouldn't play them to my mum though.

EDIT... oh, and what little i saw of Dianna ross, she sounded a little flat.

Last edited:

newts

Veteran
I picked the wrong morning to do a job in Shepton Mallet with all the traffic leaving Glastonbury. I'm very surprised at the amount of helicopters flying in & out (there's been 1 every few minutes for the last 1 1/2 hours), not quite so green.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I picked the wrong morning to do a job in Shepton Mallet with all the traffic leaving Glastonbury. I'm very surprised at the amount of helicopters flying in & out (there's been 1 every few minutes for the last 1 1/2 hours), not quite so green.

It’s usually a couple of helicopters doing short shuttle runs of VIPs to get them to a car a few miles away. So they avoid the local traffic disruption.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Why are you surprised? That sounds normal for a large gathering. Try visiting any F1 race.

Yes, been stuck getting to Silverstone a couple of times, not much fun.
Best (worst) one was Glasto 2009 ... 5 hours to get off M5 near Bristol to the site sat in a chuffin coach :wacko:

johnblack

Über Member
Why are you surprised? That sounds normal for a large gathering. Try visiting any F1 race.

I’m on the flight path for a lot of Silverstone heli-traffic (as well as all the road traffic). At one time it was the busiest air space in Europe on race day, not sure if that’s still the case. But it is quite some sight.

newts

Veteran
There were many choppers 'stacked' a few miles east at low altitude waiting for landing spots. I'm not sure how comfortably it fits with the organisers sustainability ethos. There were also many old campers vans chugging out plenty of acrid smoke as they climbed the hills towards A303/A30. Still plenty of traffic queues in the area when I came back through at 17:00hrs.

There were many choppers 'stacked' a few miles east at low altitude waiting for landing spots. I'm not sure how comfortably it fits with the organisers sustainability ethos. There were also many old campers vans chugging out plenty of acrid smoke as they climbed the hills towards A303/A30. Still plenty of traffic queues in the area when I came back through at 17:00hrs.

They are well aware of their footprint. The best way to keep it low is to not have the Festival at all - but that raises no awareness or cash for charity. They're doing a pretty good job controlling what they can tbh.

They are well aware of their footprint. The best way to keep it low is to not have the Festival at all - but that raises no awareness or cash for charity. They're doing a pretty good job controlling what they can tbh.

Quite.
Ask yourselves, what is their main ojective:
- to have 4 days of minimal carbon footprint? or
- have a groovy festival.

Plus of course, think of the carbon footprint of the keyboard warriors whining about the traffic etc via a modern internet connection. Oh jeez, haven't we done this enough times? Same old debate, round and round ...

newts

Veteran
Quite.
Ask yourselves, what is their main ojective:
- to have 4 days of minimal carbon footprint? or
- have a groovy festival.

Plus of course, think of the carbon footprint of the keyboard warriors whining about the traffic etc via a modern internet connection. Oh jeez, haven't we done this enough times? Same old debate, round and round ...

The main objective of the festival has always been about raising awareness of issues, be it climate, nuclear etc.
I'm sorry that you think it necessary to use 'whining keyboard warrior' just because climate issues & the generally unseen side of the festival & its effects are mentioned.

The main objective of the festival has always been about raising awareness of issues, be it climate, nuclear etc.
I'm sorry that you think it necessary to use 'whining keyboard warrior' just because climate issues & the generally unseen side of the festival & its effects are mentioned.

I totally support their aims (but note that they chose to raise awareness WITH A FESTIVAL, hence my post #148 :smile: )
My problem with the whining warriors is that I've read waaaaay too much crap from them about "hypocrisy" whenever Greta uses a pen made from some plastic when she writes to the U.N. It's been building for a few years now, and seems to be getting worse ...

Top Bottom