Virtual Races - VERY EXCITED!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I am super excited to be entering these via www.virtualrunneruk.com. I need some extra motivation beginning of the year to get me running and training for my first Canicross event at the end of March.

I have chosen to do 100k January Challenge,100k February Challenge and the Dog Jog March (as this also ties with in with first event - DOUBLE MEDALS!!)- thankfully it can be combined run/cycle and then I submit screenshots of my workouts and receive a cool medal! PLUS a percentage of the money I pay for the entry goes towards a selected charity!

Has anyone had experience of doing these? I seriously cannot wait!

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Not had experience of doing these but after looking on the link looks good and it's raising money for charity :okay:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Im all for donating to charity. I used to run half marathons and marathons for the RNLI. But that virtual runner site seems a good way of sucking money out of your pocket. If you need motivating set yourself a challenge. Run 4km EVERY day for a month. It will get you into the habit of getting out. Get you fit and you will run over 100km in the month. Plus its free.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Run 4km EVERY day for a month. It will get you into the habit of getting out. Get you fit and you will run over 100km in the month. Plus its free.
A grand challenge but please please please don't attempt this unless / before before have a decent base level of running in your legs. Or you will likely end up injured. Too far or too fast being classic new runner injury root causes.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Don't take this away from me @steveindenmark @GrumpyGregry :blink::sad:

I've planned it so I would do 2 x 5k runs a week (very manageable) and then around 4 x 12 mile cycles (average quick run for me before work) this again is manageable!

100k is the minimum so I can do more and feel extra good about myself. Let's just hope the weather improves in January so I can get out and not slip over again?!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Im not taking anything away from you. If that what it takes to get you out, then go and do it. Looking at the prices and distances it would be an expensive hobby for me. I am also suspicious of online charities. I took my sponsorship money to the lifeboat station and got a receipt. You have given yourself a target to aim at and thats a good start.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Yeah it is only until March then my competitions start. Yeah I see what you mean. I did look at some of the charities and they seem legitimate

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Don't take this away from me @steveindenmark @GrumpyGregry :blink::sad:

I've planned it so I would do 2 x 5k runs a week (very manageable) and then around 4 x 12 mile cycles (average quick run for me before work) this again is manageable!

100k is the minimum so I can do more and feel extra good about myself. Let's just hope the weather improves in January so I can get out and not slip over again?!
2 x 5k runs per week = utterly doable assuming you can run 5k comfortably in the first place and go at a steady pace.
1 x 4k runs every day = if you are not an experienced regular runner is a recipe for getting injured unless you ramp up to it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Charlotte. Listen to Greg and take his advice. He runs, he knows.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I mean at present I am running 10k a week and sometimes more if I do canicross... however, running is not my main focus.

Thank you for the guidance @GrumpyGregry . I have been working on my ankle strength as I have had two previous twists on the left over the last 6 months- this has got much better, the physio is super happy with my rehab work. My back is on its way to being sorted also as I have stopped weightlifting and focusing more on cardio and strengthening.

I wouldn't attempt this if I was running the risk of *further* injury, especially when I have had a few issues since August which are nearly put to bed.

Do you have a friend who also runs? Endomondo (a bit like strava) lets you create a challenge, a compete with them for free.
These are the types of challenges you can create.
Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 09.30.54.jpg

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Well I completed January well! Now I have just completed February! I have decided to be even more kick ass and while completing the monthly 100km challenges, I am actually doing more so I can also claim the 1000 MILES Medal for 2018!

I really would encourage people to do it - I love the motivation and focus it gives me!

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I am really proud of myself, despite having injuries/snow/sickness from the end of February till only recently - I was worried that March was going to be cut a little fine. HOWEVER, I really pushed myself this month. I have a bike ride later with @User21629 and I think I could actually reach my random 137km challenge target (100km for my medal, plus the extra to accumulate 1000 MILES over 2018)
Only 29km off! These "races" really have been fantastic for my focus & motivation. :angel::bicycle:I really would urge anyone needing some motivation to sign up! The monthly challenges are £10 with a percentage going to charity as well. :wub:

Top Bottom