Viscount restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Crumbs this guy really is a mine of information, BB not a mystery anymore......onward with a hammer and a bit of wood etc :smile:

wonderdog

Will have a think as I'm sure it's some fancy sealed / roller bearing BB?
Looks like an Aerospace Pro with a bit of extra colour thrown in. I think they were invariably grey with the white outlined decals. The bottom bracket runs in interference fit sealed bearings with the axle located by circlips. The axle on mine was set up for a Shimano taper but it was, in my experience, a very ordinary bit of engineering. I replaced with a Klein axle (which doesn't have the circlip grooves) and, given the case hardening, I'm not about to try cutting them in. The sealed bearings are a standard size with (IIRC) a 17 mm inner and, once you remove the circlips, it's a simple case of using a drift to get things moving. The original cranks looked like TA but, given the price of the bike when new, may have been a knockoff. Regardless, a really nice ride and ridiculously cheap when new ... I paid A$250 in 1977.

midlife

Guru
Looks like an Aerospace Pro with a bit of extra colour thrown in. I think they were invariably grey with the white outlined decals. The bottom bracket runs in interference fit sealed bearings with the axle located by circlips. The axle on mine was set up for a Shimano taper but it was, in my experience, a very ordinary bit of engineering. I replaced with a Klein axle (which doesn't have the circlip grooves) and, given the case hardening, I'm not about to try cutting them in. The sealed bearings are a standard size with (IIRC) a 17 mm inner and, once you remove the circlips, it's a simple case of using a drift to get things moving. The original cranks looked like TA but, given the price of the bike when new, may have been a knockoff. Regardless, a really nice ride and ridiculously cheap when new ... I paid A$250 in 1977.

I was going by the colour scheme, :smile:

davidphilips

Veteran
I dont suppose you could offer any advice re the bottom bracket ? Ive not come across anything like it, how do l get the thing out to clean, grease or replace because it is pretty well ganged up and doesn't turn at all easily ?

Long time since i changed BB bearings on one but as far as i can remember the bearings in the BB are the same as the front wheel bearings on a honda 90, also as well as the circlips i seem to remember a bolt or pop rivet at the bottom that needs to be removed but i would not be certain about it.

What i would recommend is either fit MTB brake pads or remove your old ones and fit spacers of appox 1/4 inch (longer bolts required to refit pads) then refit to make the bridge brake cable as straight as possible the improvement in the brakes is well worth the work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Long time since i changed BB bearings on one but as far as i can remember the bearings in the BB are the same as the front wheel bearings on a honda 90, also as well as the circlips i seem to remember a bolt or pop rivet at the bottom that needs to be removed but i would not be certain about it.

What i would recommend is either fit MTB brake pads or remove your old ones and fit spacers of appox 1/4 inch (longer bolts required to refit pads) then refit to make the bridge brake cable as straight as possible the improvement in the brakes is well worth the work.
Got the spindle and bearings out....yukk very corroded , not surprising really since any rain or other water could run down inside the seat tube and would sit in a puddle inside the BB. Have ordered new sealed bearings and will see how well they work with the existing spindle. If lm not happy with that l might look to fit a completely new unit into the BB which of course is not threaded so not sure how that will work but where there's a will theres a way !

midlife

Guru
Got the spindle and bearings out....yukk very corroded , not surprising really since any rain or other water could run down inside the seat tube and would sit in a puddle inside the BB. Have ordered new sealed bearings and will see how well they work with the existing spindle. If lm not happy with that l might look to fit a completely new unit into the BB which of course is not threaded so not sure how that will work but where there's a will theres a way !

You can buy threadless bottom bracket units.

Looks like a fun build!

Attachments

• IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 54

slow scot

Veteran
I dont suppose you could offer any advice re the bottom bracket ? Ive not come across anything like it, how do l get the thing out to clean, grease or replace because it is pretty well ganged up and doesn't turn at all easily ?
I had a viscount aerospace pro dated 1975. I got rid of it because of the totally non standard bottom bracket which needed bike shop expertise to deal with; I broke the axle twice in five years and that was enough! I think it had to be pressed in and out with special tools. Otherwise I liked the bike which was light and could also be used to tour.

D

Deleted member 1258

Perhaps something similar to this?

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/ystbb.html

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Perhaps something similar to this?

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/ystbb.html
I took a chance and ordered a couple of sealed ball bearings and from a company called Bearingboys. Very cheap and nice quality.
Fitted them to the spindle today and pressed the whole lot into the BB shell. Went like a dream and the spindle runs really smoothly.
Cleaned up the forks, new ball bearings and grease and fitted them into the frame, so far so good. Will post a few pics to show the progress.
Thanks for the sealed cartridge link....l will keep that info for future builds :smile:

wonderdog

Here's my Viscount - dragged it out of hibernation with Spring upon us - the grass is riz ... I wonder where da boidies is etc etc. Current obscure object of desire is a Merckx beauty from the early 80s. Just bought a card that highlights the cyclist's nightmare that when one dies, his/her partner will sell his/her bikes for what he/she said they paid for them.
IMG_0229.jpg

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Here's my Viscount - dragged it out of hibernation with Spring upon us - the grass is riz ... I wonder where da boidies is etc etc. Current obscure object of desire is a Merckx beauty from the early 80s. Just bought a card that highlights the cyclist's nightmare that when one dies, his/her partner will sell his/her bikes for what he/she said they paid for them. View attachment 378434
Great looking bike, gives me a bit of a kick to get mine finished, did you retro fit the side pull brakes ? My bike has centre pulls and lm reluctant to change them because they have a "V" in red on the callipers . Probably not very effective as brakes though:smile:

wonderdog

Great looking bike, gives me a bit of a kick to get mine finished, did you retro fit the side pull brakes ? My bike has centre pulls and lm reluctant to change them because they have a "V" in red on the callipers . Probably not very effective as brakes though:smile:
The original brakes were Mafac knock-offs and, I think, made the bike go faster when applied. I ran a set of Weinmann Carreras for a while but the bike is now largely kitted out with Suntour Superbe Pro gear. Certainly, Viscount applied the red "V" liberally on brakes, stem, shifter bosses etc etc.

Top Bottom