Viscount restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
You are not exactly going to be able to pop in to your local bike shop for a Klein spindle either. There is the Phil Wood replacement but again would have to be a special order from the USA http://www.philwood.com/products/bbpages/spindles.php
I still think a good threadless BB is the easiest route. Velo Orange have a good name and even at £60 would be much less than a Phil spindle. http://freshtripe.co.uk/velo-orange-grand-cru-threadless-bottom-bracket/
Infact I have a threadless BB that I used as an interim on my Pro that you are welcome to for postage.
Damn !!! just goes to show l should check cycle chat daily....l have ordered a treadless BB from the UK and it is on its way. However thanks very much for your kind offer :smile:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Just had a thought about your wobble on the chain ring. If the crank is not seated properly on the spindle or the spindle has been abused with a club hammer you may well find that when the spindle or BB had been changed the ring will spin well. If it is the ring that is warped you can normally persuade it back with the use of a large G clamp and a bit of brute force.
You might have a point, l will check it again when l have the replacement thread less BB. If not l have a spare Stronglight chainset looking for something to do !

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have had a break from the Viscount for a while mainly because the thread less BB hasn't arrived yet ! however today l decided to remove the old handlebar tape and the brake leavers in order to inspect and clean up the bars. The bars proved to be interesting in that they are polished aluminium as far as the brakes and then matt or un polished. The best bit is that, at the very end of the drops there is a GB logo with the immortal words "MADE IN BRITAIN" stamped into them. Talk about the innate British sense of superiority to put your trademark in a place where no one is likely to see it because its covered with tape ......l love it ^_^

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Viscount is on the road and had my first ride round the block this morning :smile: First impression is that it rides beautifully, very light and responsive. The riding position is quite different to the Faggin in that l seem to be much more over the bars than on the Faggin.
In the end l fitted a Zenith sealed bottom bracket from VeloSolo which seems fine with a spare Stronglight chainset . Gearing is useless for this neck of the woods though and if l am going to ride any distance l'll have to sort that out. Meantime here's a photo or two...

Attachments

• 2017-10-29 12.19.14.jpg
    2017-10-29 12.19.14.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 2017-10-29 12.19.37.jpg
    2017-10-29 12.19.37.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 2017-10-29 12.20.16.jpg
    2017-10-29 12.20.16.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 71

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Viscount is on the road and had my first ride round the block this morning :smile: First impression is that it rides beautifully, very light and responsive. The riding position is quite different to the Faggin in that l seem to be much more over the bars than on the Faggin.
In the end l fitted a Zenith sealed bottom bracket from VeloSolo which seems fine with a spare Stronglight chainset . Gearing is useless for this neck of the woods though and if l am going to ride any distance l'll have to sort that out. Meantime here's a photo or two...

Very nice indeed

wonderdog

Woodbutcher - Hope you pick this up so long after the fact but I'm interested in how this sealed bottom bracket works. The frame tubes on both my Viscounts protrude into the bracket tube and I don't see how the sealed unit would fit. Was it a standard 68 mm width and what axle length did you select? Seeing that I use Suntour Superbe cranks, would I be able to substitute a Superbe axle for whatever is supplied with the unit?

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Woodbutcher - Hope you pick this up so long after the fact but I'm interested in how this sealed bottom bracket works. The frame tubes on both my Viscounts protrude into the bracket tube and I don't see how the sealed unit would fit. Was it a standard 68 mm width and what axle length did you select? Seeing that I use Suntour Superbe cranks, would I be able to substitute a Superbe axle for whatever is supplied with the unit?
Amazingly l just saw your post but not sure how much l can help off the top of my head but here goes. First thing to say is that if the tubes protrude into the BB tube then you have a problem. The Zenith sealed unit l used is a tight-ish fit and l had to spend quite a bit of time carefully filing away just one of the tube ends which protruded, it is very thin but hard metal. I will get answers to your other questions ( l think it was 68mm but will check) . I got it from Velo Solo and they may be able to advise axle length for your Suntour cranks. You cant just swap axels in the sealed unit as far as l know. You could always use sealed bearings with your existing axel which is what l originally did except that having got everything nicely installed and working a treat, l went and snapped one of the crank retaining bolts when l tightened it very neatly flush with the end of the axel:sad: so start from the beginning again.
Sealed bearings are maybe a bit trickier to install but quite a bit cheaper than a sealed unit. Hope all this helps !

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Beware those 'suicide levers' they will seriously degrade the braking when using them.

Love the colour.
I dont touch them, they just look good on the bike ^_^

wonderdog

Amazingly l just saw your post but not sure how much l can help off the top of my head but here goes. First thing to say is that if the tubes protrude into the BB tube then you have a problem. The Zenith sealed unit l used is a tight-ish fit and l had to spend quite a bit of time carefully filing away just one of the tube ends which protruded, it is very thin but hard metal. I will get answers to your other questions ( l think it was 68mm but will check) . I got it from Velo Solo and they may be able to advise axle length for your Suntour cranks. You cant just swap axels in the sealed unit as far as l know. You could always use sealed bearings with your existing axel which is what l originally did except that having got everything nicely installed and working a treat, l went and snapped one of the crank retaining bolts when l tightened it very neatly flush with the end of the axel:sad: so start from the beginning again.
Sealed bearings are maybe a bit trickier to install but quite a bit cheaper than a sealed unit. Hope all this helps !
Was the original axle in good nick? If so, and if you haven't consigned it to waste, I would be interested in paying you for same, said he ferreting around in the toolbox for the ezy-outs

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Was the original axle in good nick? If so, and if you haven't consigned it to waste, I would be interested in paying you for same, said he ferreting around in the toolbox for the ezy-outs
I will go to the workshop and have a look but l have a feeling that l dumped it in frustration !

Top Bottom