Visiting Thorn - Thinking of a New Raven - Any tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
View attachment 18582
Is it me or do the wheels look small?

Incidentally, which Paramo smock are you wearing? I've been using a windproof Velez smock for years and been very happy with it. It was fully waterproof, but it's not anymore no matter what I have tried regarding reproofing (can't complain as it wasn't supposed to be). I've looked at some of the other Paramos, the cycling specific ones, but they look a bit warm outside of winter.

snailracer

Über Member
The 26" wheel gives more toe clearance with mudguards fitted, without having to extend the wheelbase which would make it more difficult to manoeuvre around obstacles you might find on a trail.

Matt2matt2002

Sorry to jump in here but so excited to read everything said about the Raven since I am due to take delivery of a nearlyt new one next week. At 5' 10'' I have gone for a large frame so fingers crossed I will fit.
I know what folk mean about the look of a 26 inch wheel but I guess it is getting the job done that counts rather than how one looks to the passers-by.

jags

Guru
why would you get the idea you look to big for that beauti.
how was it to ride you look good on that bike best of luck with your choice.

jags.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
FWIW I don't think the wheels look too small. Aesthetically, I can't say I'm with Thorn's extensive use of headset spacers, but if you are comfortable, it certainly shouldn't matter. I can't say for touring wheel size matters too much to me, but being a short ar$e, I have found some 700c bikes with toe overlap (particularly with mudguards), and I can't get on with toe overlap at all (yeah, I know some people can, I can't). If a wheel size can't provide functionality, that's a good enough reason not to use that wheel size for me.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your new bike.

OP
OP
Skipper9999

Skipper9999

why would you get the idea you look to big for that beauti.
how was it to ride you look good on that bike best of luck with your choice.

jags.
The ride was good, with the softer wider tyres than the 700 wheels it felt smooth, I felt very comfortable on the bike it handled well in traffic.The Hub gears a joy (I have a Trek Soho with 8 gears),

I only disliked it when I looked at the photographs. Maybe it is a bad angle? I also wondered if the bike was in red would it look bigger and appear to make the stem look smaller?

I need a Photoshop edit done on the Photographs I think.

OP
OP
Skipper9999

Skipper9999

I am going to Leeds next week to try a Woodrup ..............Oh dear the choices??
Then my mind will be made up I hope ?!?!?

• 26 or 700 wheels
  • Belt or chain
  • disc or V-Brakes
I still can't fault the Thorn Raven so why now start looking at belt drives and discs, It is driving me mad (and my mates)
OH Dear ................................Then if it's a woodrup I have to choose a colour..........:bicycle:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Would they do it another colour, if requested, Vern?

They will do any colour(s) that is/are available. You can also specify contrasting panels like I did for mine. As much as I liked the green, I didn't want everything green.

I provided a computer colour printout of the colour scheme that I wanted - annotated sketches will do.

GarminDave

Regular
Going to visit Woodrup tomorrow, looking forward to a day out. But will there be more questions than answers? I'll take my camera,

Later

Dave

I think the black colour is a good call - stealthy and won't draw too much attention when touring. The Nomad brochure on the Thorn website talks about the choice between black and yellow (Nomad is only available in these colours) - it's worth a read. The shape and angles look different to road bikes but believe me, they soon grow on you!!
An unclaimed advantage is that the Nomad simply does not lookalike. £2000 bike!

It looks industrial which is brilliant

Top Bottom