Visiting your doctor is bad for your health...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Doctor's orders, TC. Tell you what, I'll lay off the marg. if I can forsake the canned pilchards. What say?

Margarine is good, it has additives to make it gooder. Butter is just rancid breast milk full of those really wet fats.

Probably duff advice though Dayvo - dietary calcium deficiency is a very rare cause of a low blood calcium - especially as you already eat a load of cheese and dairy.

The commonest cause of a slightly low calcium in Scandinavia would be a lack of vitamin D - which needs sun exposure to be made.

So if you have a seriously low calcium you need vitamin D - not cheese.

Stick to White Russians - plenty of ice (unless your offered one by Jackie Treehorn)

Thanks for the advice, mangaman! Wise words.

My doc here told me that I was in good shape, but had a vitamin D deficiency (as explained by your comment above), so I have been eating more oily fish: mackerel, sardines, pilchards etc.

Hopefully, maybe one day the sun will return to these parts, raising my vitamin D levels and lifting my moods!

Due to extortionate prices, White Russians are few and far between, but there is ice in abundance.

I'll avoid the food side here as I have an opinion from a lot of my general reading but I'm not qualified and you are looking at your health. I've never read anything good about statins. If you do end up taking them you should supplement on co enzyme Q10, preferably not from soya sources. Avoiding statins is the best bet by far from the study results I've seen but again I know nothing and have only read a bit on the internet. As we have a food scientist talking positives about these I am more than happy to admit my general ignorance on the subject.

Overall cholesterol is not a good indicator. The doctor should offer you a test which shows HDL, the two types of LDL and also tryglicerides and should be interpreted by someone who knows the relevance of the levels and their relationship to each other. A bit of web browsing will clue you up on the kind of things they should cover. As Mangaman said, a fasted full lipid profile is the way forward. If the doctor doesn't go for it and you are concerned you should be persistent with them. They will give you it in the end. Basic cholesterol tests have been offered at a local supermarket by a margarine company whereas when you get to triglyceride levels you are talking expensive lab tests.

Vitamin D supplements are a winner for everyone. One of the few recommended generally along with omega 3 fish oils. Amounts of vitamin D vary for ethnic background and sun levels where you live.

As a bit of food for thought and if you fancy it you may want to look at the relationship between fats in food and the body. Saturated fat and cholesterol in food doesn't directly relate to saturated fat in blood plasma although it's easy to see why this is the obvious conclusion. I'm not saying binge on lard but it' worth a read if you've got concerns over cholesterol levels and want to improve your numbers. Eggs from grass fed chickens are superb :-) I'm also a kn0b on a cycling forum who's read a bit and thinks he's an expert. These are reading recommendations as a bit of food for thought and not meant as any kind of advice on your health.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Okay, I know you've all been on tenterhooks for 6 months but the wait is finally over.
I've been eating a low-cholesterol or cholesterol-lowering diet for 6 months now which, I was informed by those in the know, had little chance of success. I had my retest last week and have today been to the quack to discuss the results. I'm happy to report that the diet seems to have worked.
The overall figure has markedly reduced, but more importantly the bad cholesterol has too. According to the way they calculate the risk factor, I am now considerably below average.
In practise it means that I don't face the prospect of being on statins for the rest of my fruitful life and it cuts me a little slack to eat the odd bit of red meat, cheese etc should the desire take me. I'll keep largely to the diet as I don't find it difficult to do anyway and certainly feel healthier anyway.
p.s. As a consequence of the diet I also lost 1.5st which is a bit of a result for climbing hills on a bike!
p.p.s. I didn't cut down my alcohol intake one jot either!

Top Bottom