Visiting your doctor is bad for your health...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Well done Rich! Treat yourself to a double cheeseburger!
I'm 45. I went to a 'well man' type medical checkup recently. At rest, my heartrate was mid-50s, choloesterol readings were great, but my blood pressure was on the high side. Thing is, blood pressure seems to be such a finnicky thing - even whilst my blood pressure was being taken, the doc told me not to speak in case it affected the reading!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cheers all.
Roy, the diet wasn't very scientific and I had assumed it wasn't going to make an awful lot of difference since I ate fairly healthily anyway. I did, however, doit pretty ruthlessy as I thought there's no point in trying a halfway house. I cut out as many fats as I could including cheese, butter and ate nothing processed as far as possible. If I use any oil in cooking, and it's surprising how little you can get away with even for frying or making your own oven chips, it's olive or rapeseed. I make a mean chicken curry for 2 which uses 1 tbs of oil in total.
Very little red meat - maybe lean steak or pork once a week. No lamb as the fat is integral.
Chicken or fish most nights - I'm not a fan of vegetarian food.
Salad for lunch with tinned mackerel or sardines in brine or spring water.
Wholemeal bread. Benecol if necessary. Skimmed milk.
Oh, red wine in industrial quantities.
No biscuits or cakes, chocolate or the like but I rarely ate those anyway.
Maz - a one off BP test is pretty unreliable. You need a 24 hour test to be sure as too many variables can affect one reading including white coat syndrome.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maz - a one off BP test is pretty unreliable. You need a 24 hour test to be sure as too many variables can affect one reading including white coat syndrome.
Too true! During my recent stay in hospital, I had that experience with various tests ...

Nurse: "Stop holding your breath!"

Me (breathing out, then in again): "Pardon?"

Nurse: "Every time that I try to measure your blood oxygen saturation level with this meter, you tense up and stop breathing!"

I hadn't noticed that I was doing it, but she was right! :thumbsup:

Interesting thread Rich.

Any update?

Reason I ask as I cycled to the library the other day and took the opportunity of a free check being carried out by the local health bods.

Cholesterol came up on the high side (though since I wasn't given any warnings I take it not desperate) - after a bit of research later I found out that these sorts of tests should be done after an extended fast so I have no idea if it really means anything at all.

Like you Rich I tend to think my existing diet is pretty reasonable.

May pop along to the doc for a somewhat more authoritative test.

pawl

Legendary Member
I have high cholesterol and on simvastatin, mainly due to heart problem in the family history, I do watch what I eat I very rarely eat red meat, in fact I took the diet a bit too seriously and to my shock I became very anaemic, so I have to be very careful with my diet now.
I was prescribed Statins as waiting for a heart op.Had some side effects,flu like symptoms.Spoke to my chemist and she has had good reports by people using Benecol products .Suggest you try statins. My next door neighbor has been on Statins for several years without any side effects.

vickster

Legendary Member
Muscle pain (like flu) is quite a common side effect of statins, called rabdomyelisis, some seem to cause this less

Statins can't be taken if you have any sort of liver disease too

subaqua

What’s the point
1753143 said:
Prawns have a reputation for increasing cholesterol but, as with all these things, it could well be bollocks.
being as my lunch for the last 4 or so months has been prawns , olives in anchovy/olive oil and sundried and semni dried tomatoes with an organic olive bread with flora proactiv i think it might well be bollox . my cholesterol was above 7 and i reduced cheese intake , red meat, liver and carb rich alcohol . i did increase red wine intake tho !!

albion

Guru
On the subject of pain has anyone any understanding of sudden chronic 'getting off you bike' stomach orientated pain ?
I got checked out last time it happened with nothing found apart from mention of a sign of a weak stomach lining.

Both occurrences are exactly the same happening very very short after getting off my bike.
I'm expecting it to subside at the same rate as last time approx 2 years ago which means 3 days later I can only sit on a high chair, can hardly get out of bed or bend down to put socks and such like on.

It is right hand hip, stomach and back. Non coincidentally I have not had a drink for over 2 years too so its almost tempting enough to drive me back to drink. All thing going like last time I'll be OK in 7 or so more days.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Interesting thread Rich.

Any update?

Reason I ask as I cycled to the library the other day and took the opportunity of a free check being carried out by the local health bods.

Cholesterol came up on the high side (though since I wasn't given any warnings I take it not desperate) - after a bit of research later I found out that these sorts of tests should be done after an extended fast so I have no idea if it really means anything at all.

Like you Rich I tend to think my existing diet is pretty reasonable.

May pop along to the doc for a somewhat more authoritative test.
Hi BH, Without the fast it may be fairly meaningless as far as I know. I have relaxed the diet slightly but I have no idea what effect that has had, since I've not been tested again. I'm not at all sure if I will have another test in truth. I'm glad I had the wake-up call but now that the diet change has worked I'll probably just carry on in blissful ignorance.
As you probably saw early in the thread, there are some qualified people who don't rate the cholesterol test, or the algorithm they use to apply it individually, and many more on the web who don't approve of statin use. You take a personal choice!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
On the subject of pain has anyone any understanding of sudden chronic 'getting off you bike' stomach orientated pain ?
I got checked out last time it happened with nothing found apart from mention of a sign of a weak stomach lining.

Both occurrences are exactly the same happening very very short after getting off my bike.
I'm expecting it to subside at the same rate as last time approx 2 years ago which means 3 days later I can only sit on a high chair, can hardly get out of bed or bend down to put socks and such like on.

It is right hand hip, stomach and back. Non coincidentally I have not had a drink for over 2 years too so its almost tempting enough to drive me back to drink. All thing going like last time I'll be OK in 7 or so more days.
Sorry liked instead of reply. How low down is it? Could it be a Hernia?

albion

Guru
No sign of any bulge. And that was discounted at the hospital/docs last time.

Now the pain has centralised it strangely feels as much lower back as does stomach.
Pressing the right low back I get a clicking alongside the pain. (Maybe we can all make a click?)

Top Bottom