Visiting your doctor is bad for your health...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
Further on from that, putting on socks or with any bending forwards the pain is felt in the right stomach. But getting onto a bed or with any twisting of the torso the pain is primarily in the right low back past the top of the thigh.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I would say go back to the doc's could be lots of things, if its painful your body it trying to tell you something

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[quote="<snipped> .... number was 7.5 which according to the stats gives me a 15% chance of heart problems in the future. <snipped>]

Not at all wishing to naysay the quack, much less give you advice, but "15% change of heart problems in the future" ?
Is that actually good or bad compared to the "going rate" as it were, or even the going rate for non-smokers who aren't lard-arses? Quite a lot of blokes (especially) have "heart trouble" of some sort - more than 15% would be my guess - and it is a guess. It's worth checking what these bald numbers actually mean

All that said, quack might be right, and in any case, healthier diet is a "good thing" regardless.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
No sign of any bulge. And that was discounted at the hospital/docs last time.

Now the pain has centralised it strangely feels as much lower back as does stomach.
Pressing the right low back I get a clicking alongside the pain. (Maybe we can all make a click?)
This thread isn't about pain; it's about the painless threat of cholesterol.

Fair point RichP - thought I'd better say this in case anyone accuses you of insensitivity - best if threads like this (it's not the cafe) stay on topic if they are to be useful to folk - I think a new thread on the other issue (I'm not belittling it) might be an idea.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
[quote="<snipped> .... number was 7.5 which according to the stats gives me a 15% chance of heart problems in the future. <snipped>]

Not at all wishing to naysay the quack, much less give you advice, but "15% change of heart problems in the future" ?
Is that actually good or bad compared to the "going rate" as it were, or even the going rate for non-smokers who aren't lard-arses? Quite a lot of blokes (especially) have "heart trouble" of some sort - more than 15% would be my guess - and it is a guess. It's worth checking what these bald numbers actually mean

All that said, quack might be right, and in any case, healthier diet is a "good thing" regardless.
These percentage terms and statistics really irritate me, they are all relative to the overall risk and are often used to lobby government to reduce the level at which prescriptions are issued and the biggest selling drugs are statins and blood pressure tablets. If you have lots of risk factors including heart disease then sure statins may be useful but if are marginally over the "levels" then the % outcomes become nonsensical. Then you have to weigh up the downsides to the medication vs. the outcomes.

albion

Guru
This thread isn't about pain; it's about the painless threat of cholesterol.
It ain't about 'doctor thread' police either.

But yep, we well know that media and quacks and all the salesmen love to run with treating symptoms, not the cause.
Not a biggy in the scheme of things though.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It ain't about 'doctor thread' police either.

But yep, we well know that media and quacks and all the salesmen love to run with treating symptoms, not the cause.
Not a biggy in the scheme of things though.
:wacko:
I'm not that concerned but a thread about cholesterol is a useful reference at any time - note Blue Hills resurrected it on that basis.
If you have a completely different issue and what some of CC's expert input, I just thought that starting a new specific thread might serve you better.

albion

Guru
Thanks or the helpful input guys.
My doctor was fairly certain, and probably right, that it was caused by sudden twisting at hip and leg (I forgot the scientific term he used). I've also decided to force/train myself to dismount the bike other side, as awkward and alien as it currently seems.

Whatever happened to that study that showed old people with low cholesterol died twice as often from a heart attack as did old people with high cholesterol?

Top Bottom