Vista... I can't take any more! Goodbye!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Yes I have it and yes I regret not choosing XP :smile:. I think bonj sums it up very well.

Mr Pig

The bottom line is that I can't think of a single good reason to 'have' Vista. Microsoft bully their customers into taking the products they choose to make rather than making what the customer wants. Few of us need more computing power than we already have but the software and hardware manufacturers work together to force us to buy new kit every few years. Their profits demand it.

Carwash

Señor Member
Mr Pig said:
The bottom line is that I can't think of a single good reason to 'have' Vista. Microsoft bully their customers into taking the products they choose to make rather than making what the customer wants. Few of us need more computing power than we already have but the software and hardware manufacturers work together to force us to buy new kit every few years. Their profits demand it.

I dunno, bloody Windows users! :smile: You're all just moan-moan-moan!

You don't hear the Linux and BSD users complaining about how crappy their systems are, do you?* Ever consider that there might be a reason for that? :becool:

If you're resigned to switching to Vista, why not switch to something better, instead? If it pisses you of that much, why not use something else?

* Was going to put Mac users too, but that would just be asking for trouble! There're a small but vocal minority of Mac users who give the rest a bad ('smug') name. :smile: And it wouldn't really be true.

[size=-5]Don't take this post too seriously - I'm well aware of the excuses - sorry: arguments for and against switching. But sometimes it's fun to poke. :smile:[/size]

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Speicher said:
Marinyork, what are the Legal Issues you mention? I would be the "owner" of both computers. I thought that would be OK because the two computers would be used at different times.

You have the right to use micro$oft software through the EULA which is a licence to use it to you and me. You own the various polymers and dyes that go into the manufacture of the DVDs! People argue about what it means in reality quite a bit. In practice it is a somewhat grey area. You're not using a latest product. You've also bought it the other version and in the somewhat strange situation (not that strange) of not wanting vista. It's a bit like recording things onto video and storing them if you get my drift.

Carwash

Señor Member
Yeah; effectively you have two computers, but one license to install and run XP on one computer. See the problem?

marinyork

Well this is how M$ managed to make billions of $! Vista will sort itself out. People will write software that is more efficient over multiple cores, drivers will get sorted out and the rest of the bloatware etc more or less sorted out when people all have 8Gb of ram and quad core chips.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
as a point of interest, i've got windows vista running on my apple macbook. seems ok, for the limited things i use it for.

the main thing that i've noticed is that vista runs hotter than os x, if the amount of time the fan stays on is anything to go by.

peanut

haven't read all the thread it would take too long but has anyone considered installing Windows XP on their Vista PC's ?
you then get a choice of which operating system that you wish to use every time you start up your PC
The advantage of this dual OS is that you don't have to format your hard drive and re-install OS and all the drivers, software and configure everything.(4-5 hours work)

marinyork

If stable...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Hmmm,

I was on the verge of replacing my slow, bottom end PC with a new one from Dell, but this thread has made me pause. Does the trouble come through installing Vista on machines that originally came with XP or is it the same for new PCs with Vista pre-installed?

buddha

Veteran
domtyler said:
Running off the CD is okay if all you want to do is take a quick look, to actually use it it would be a right pita.

Of course you can install Ubuntu on a different partition but you have to have that partition available in the first place, it wont let you resize your XP partition and create a new one from freed up space.

Erm, that's what I did.
Run the Ubuntu Live CD and run the Partition Editor.
Create root, swap etc partitions and away you go.

Carwash said:
What, not at all?

Are you sure?

Oooh! It appears to have changed! I'll give the download a go! Thanks for that!!! At some point microsoft were saying something about not collaborating with Java anymore from 2008, therefore, no download suitable for vista was available as Java was supposedly being phased out....

Carwash

Señor Member
punkypossum said:
Oooh! It appears to have changed! I'll give the download a go! Thanks for that!!! At some point microsoft were saying something about not collaborating with Java anymore from 2008, therefore, no download suitable for vista was available as Java was supposedly being phased out....

You're most welcome. :ohmy: Given the number of programs written in Java, and the huge wobbly Sun would have thrown if they had dropped Java support, I doubt such a move would have lasted very long!

Top Bottom