Vista... I can't take any more! Goodbye!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Smokin Joe said:
Does the trouble come through installing Vista or is it the same for new PCs with Vista pre-installed?

Basically, no matter how you end up with Vista you are going to be looking at more grief than you would be without it. It might just be niggles, it might be a nightmare, Vista is like a packet of Maltesers without the ones you like! ;0)

The trick is to 'use' it as little as possible. Switch off as many of its fancy features and warnings as you can and keep everything simple. It'll still much up your day now and then though so make sure you back up.

Funtboy

I'm very happy with it. I have an entry level laptop with 2 Gig if RAM in it and it runs like a dream. Of course, I switched off those stupid user access messages but that's about all. You do need at least 2 gig or it will be very sluggish. As for being a resource hog, well I hate to break it to y'all but XP is more of a hog than Windows 98. Fancy going back to that?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Smokin Joe said:
Hmmm,

I was on the verge of replacing my slow, bottom end PC with a new one from Dell, but this thread has made me pause. Does the trouble come through installing Vista on machines that originally came with XP or is it the same for new PCs with Vista pre-installed?

Both. XP is pretty nippy on the core 2 duo systems or 64x2s and phenoms with 2gig or more of ram. Vista works fine on mine and my mates machines now but they've both got highish end graphics cards in and hard drives giving them a decent vista score. Looking at some of the dell laptops I'd have thought they'd run all right, certainly much better than their initiall vista laptop systems in 2007.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
marinyork said:
Both. XP is pretty nippy on the core 2 duo systems or 64x2s and phenoms with 2gig or more of ram. Vista works fine on mine and my mates machines now but they've both got highish end graphics cards in and hard drives giving them a decent vista score. Looking at some of the dell laptops I'd have thought they'd run all right, certainly much better than their initiall vista laptop systems in 2007.

Exactly why I dumped Vista and went back to Xp - I had heard I would be better off. I cannot see the logic in having to buy more and more memory and fancy graphics cards just to watch the operating system churning away when the reason most people buy pc's is to run everyday applications on them - applications that under Xp do not need such huge resources. In my experience, there wasn't sufficient advantage in running Vista to warrant continuing with it on my machine.

Keith Oates

Janner
I'm no expert on the computer but I bought a new laptop with Vista Business about 9 months ago and am more than happy with it, I'm still finding new things almost every week but for me that's part of the fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Keith - I quite enjoy finding out what a new computer can do. Kind of reassures you that the investment was worthwhile! Hopefully Windows 7 (or whatever it ends up being called) will be the real improvement on Xp that Vista, for me at any rate, didn't turn out to be.

Mr Pig

Batzman said:
Install this:

What does it do?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'm currently running 2 High end Pc's under Vista 64 with no problems. The older kit in the house (don't ask, I'm a programmer married to a programmer, with 2 traineee programmer kids... is still running either XP or Ubuntu).

The trick with Vista seems to be to run the latest, greatest hardware and make sure you have lots of RAM. In this case, it works a treat, and seems so far at least to be much more secure and generaly well behaved than XP.

Carwash

Señor Member
Uncle Mort said:
Not meaning to be funny, but for a lot of people, it's not possible as it's more expensive. You can't get a Mac on the homebrew

I don't think you're being funny. You can get a Linux or BSD box 'on the homebrew' though, and that'd see you right.

jay clock

Massive member
As a pretty average non techy type I found Vista completely pointless. In addition on my girlfriend's and Dad's laptops the wifi drops constantly on Vista which may be unrelated but who knows.

I just bought a new desktop and paid £50 EXTRA to Dell for XP in place of Vista, but they stopped selling XP as of 1 July. My new 4GB RAM XP pc seems lovely and fast.

My feeling is that for most users having Vista is like living in a small house, in a small road, and being very happy with a Ford Focus, then discover that Ford have replaced it with a bloated US saloon, which doesn't go faster down the small roads and is a pain to park.....

Plax

Guru
I hate Vista. Mr Plax has Vista on his PC, I think probably to put me off using it. The Internet still works the same though so that hasn't worked much. I'm going to cling onto XP for as long as possible.

Top Bottom