Vista... I can't take any more! Goodbye!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is anyone else totally sick of Microsoft Vista?

I've finally wiped it off my 6 month old pc and bought XP to replace it. I have 3gb of memory too, so it's hardly starved of resources. Got to the point where the nannying, nagging, slow performance and incompatibility with half of my hardware made me open my wallet just to be shut of it.

So it must have been bad!

Perry

Asta La Vista Baby!

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Perry said:
Did you try to download driver updates?

Yep - did all the updates that were to be had, driver updates (12 month old scanner - no Vista driver, even after Service Pack 1!), tweaks, turning off all the 'high end' fancy effects...

XP on the other hand is running like a dream. Can't believe I stuck Vista for as long as I did. Nearly turned me into a Linux fan!

OP
OP
beanzontoast
will said:
I regret everytime I turn my PC on that I used my Vista upgrade

I read somewhere that if you have one of the top end versions of Vista (I don't think they do it for Home Basic, like I had), you can request to 'downgrade' to XP. Might be worth exploring?

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'm still running Vista laptop due to not being able to afford XP legitamately. I tend to run the minimum of stuff on it and I stop a lot of the programmes from starting up at start up. Everything else stays on my XP desk top.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Night Train said:
I'm still running Vista laptop due to not being able to afford XP legitamately. I tend to run the minimum of stuff on it and I stop a lot of the programmes from starting up at start up. Everything else stays on my XP desk top.

I have 2 pc's both running XP. When I got the new one, I used the old XP machine very little. As time passed, I found I was using the old Xp machine almost all the time. Seemed crazy to have a faster machine sitting virtually idle in the end because the OS was driving me nuts.

Actually there was one good thing about Vista. Mahjong Titans! Great little game. That I do miss!

yello

The wife's new laptop runs vista... and was slower than my 7 year old laptop running 2k. I say "was" not because it's quicker now but because I now, very happily, run Ubuntu. Vista is bloatware and I'm appalled by it's performance. I'm trying to convince my wife to put Ubuntu on her laptop too. With the spec it has, it'll fly along.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
yello said:
The wife's new laptop runs vista... and was slower than my 7 year old laptop running 2k. I say "was" not because it's quicker now but because I now, very happily, run Ubuntu. Vista is bloatware and I'm appalled by it's performance. I'm trying to convince my wife to put Ubuntu on her laptop too. With the spec it has, it'll fly along.

Is it possible to install and run Ubuntu on an Xp machine to compare them? Or do you have to uninstall Xp?

Carwash

Señor Member
yello said:

Never used Vista myself - is it really that bad?! Thank the Lord for Debian and OS X! ;)

Carwash

Señor Member
beanzontoast said:
Is it possible to install and run Ubuntu on an Xp machine to compare them? Or do you have to uninstall Xp?

You can run Ubuntu off the CD to compare (but CD-ROM access times are crappy compared to HDDs, so it will feel very slow) but IIRC the installer lets you keep your XP partition and install Ubuntu elswhere... correct me if I'm wrong!

Top Bottom