Vocabulary question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've "renovated" an old BSA Piston into a lamp: doesn't really work for me
you've re-purposed it :okay:

"Thanking you" will earn someone either a glare or a hoot of derision from me depending upon my mood

I've often pondered, does one spell the abbreviation of 'casual'?
Kazh? (Since the abbreviation sounds Slavic and there's no hard c in that language group.)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I converted the top of a lorry piston into an ashtray.

The driver of a coach I worked on did that.

By driving it into the ground with no coolant he melted the top of the pistons, welding them to the equally poorly head.

Far better mechanics than me managed to save the engine, but as a young apprentice I did hand on a few tools.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The driver of a coach I worked on did that.

By driving it into the ground with no coolant he melted the top of the pistons, welding them to the equally poorly head.

Far better mechanics than me managed to save the engine, but as a young apprentice I did hand on a few tools.
Mine came from a Foundry I worked at, we used to buy 'scrap' aluminium and a set of 6 were in one load, I think it's a from Gardiner engine 120mm diameter with a 'Heron' type combustion chamber on the crown

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Mine came from a Foundry I worked at, we used to buy 'scrap' aluminium and a set of 6 were in one load, I think it's a from Gardiner engine 120mm diameter with a 'Heron' type combustion chamber on the crown

Not sure who made the wrecked engine, but it was mid-mounted in a touring coach.

One of my jobs was to remove a few pairs of seats to improve access.

We worked on it from inside the coach and from rolling around on the ground outside - no chance of it fitting on any lift we had.

The engine came out balanced on a couple of trolley jacks.

I recall the pistons looked like the metal had bubbled/boiled as it melted.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
In Glasgow we have a wonderful tradition of making words longer
by inserting the f word in the middle.
Spag effin bol
Mag effin nificent

Etc.
Might be common in other places as effin well
is it called a tmesis or something?

A phrase which is common in the area I live (and, perhaps, more widely), is "Can I lend ..insert object, or amount here... "

My daughter will frequently say, "Dad, can I lend £20", I point out to her that I am lending, she is borrowing.

Makes no difference, in fact, the phrase should be "Dad can I have £20", because borrowing, implies repayment at some point. ;)

Not forgetting "Can I get..." instead of "May I have..."
e.g. "can I get a pint of [insert favourite brew]" to which the proper answer should be "no you can't. I'm the barperson, I'll get it for you"

my other pet hate is the shop assistant who asks "you all right?" instead of "how may I help you?"

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not forgetting "Can I get..." instead of "May I have..."
e.g. "can I get a pint of [insert favourite brew]" to which the proper answer should be "no you can't. I'm the barperson, I'll get it for you"

my other pet hate is the shop assistant who asks "you all right?" instead of "how may I help you?"

oh yes can vs may !

Sad to say, I recall this being a regular topic in English lessons at school (65+ years ago), little, if anything, has changed. ;)

Top Bottom