Vocabulary question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Most people nowadays use the word "prepping" as they can't be bothered to use the proper word " preparing". Is there a difference between the two words or are we living in a world now where words have to be shortened? Another one that really annoys me is Spagbol instead of spaghetti Bolognese. I may be old fashion but I still try to speak the proper way so I prepare things and eat spaghetti Bolognese amongst other things.

AndyRM

XOXO
Shortened by a whole letter...

Most people nowadays use the word "prepping" as they can't be bothered to use the proper word " preparing". Is there a difference between the two words or are we living in a world now where words have to be shortened? Another one that really annoys me is Spagbol instead of spaghetti Bolognese. I may be old fashion but I still try to speak the proper way so I prepare things and eat spaghetti Bolognese amongst other things.
Must admit I hate the term spagbol - goes back a long way I think.
Tend to think it's one of those words some folks use as they think it makes them sound what used to be called "street", while they shaft folk from the street.

ie - posh folk.

I used to dislike the term "chillax" or however the fark it was spelled.
Never understood how it said more than "relax".
Always had the idea folk who used it were just trying to sound cool, possibly beneath their years.
Now passed to history I think - haven't heard it in a while.
I stress I'm no pedant when it comes to language but some stuff (as you folks may have gathered :smile: ) does get to me.
Basically terms used by folks I put under the general heading of "ponce"

screenman

Legendary Member
Queue, what a waste of letters that is.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm not sure that they're quite the same words. Prepping suggests more calculated forethought than preparing dinner does, for me. It's probably a class-laden term referring back to the cramming that goes on at preparatory school.

Top Bottom