Vocabulary question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
My mother used to say Spag Bog. Thankfully I don't bother with either as Spag Bol is disgusting and could easily be made less messy using pasta shells.

What even is the point of Spaghetti? :cursing:

Salar

A fish out of water
Spag Bol, Mayo and being called "guys" in a restaurant winds me up.

For some reason "piping hot" has started to annoy me now.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
What's wrong with prepped, you prep a job eg "can you prep that car" or "can you get that food prepped" you wouldn't say can you do the preparation work on that car or food.
I’ll call you on that....
I (and many others) would say ‘can you prepare that car for xxxx or could you prepare the vegetables for dinner’. It’s still common parlance.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Most people nowadays use the word "prepping" as they can't be bothered to use the proper word " preparing". Is there a difference between the two words or are we living in a world now where words have to be shortened? Another one that really annoys me is Spagbol instead of spaghetti Bolognese. I may be old fashion but I still try to speak the proper way so I prepare things and eat spaghetti Bolognese amongst other things.

Some of my English P6 students have used the word 'prepping' in class. I let it go as it's acceptable in spoken English however, in their writing and class presentations, I do insist that they use the correct word 'preparing.' This is to get them into good habits for secondary school.

Last edited:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
It's the difference between French and English
English has always accepted new words (hell, loads of them are French anyway) and has been happy to change words and evolve
French, on the other hand, resists change to its language and most definitely doesn't like the Anglicisation of it.
Spagbol, prepper...all part of language evolution

True. English is a strange language. On one hand, it's very strict, such as punctuation and adjective order to name two examples, but it's also a very flexible language that you can have a lot of fun with, as my higher ability students find to their delight.

Drago

Legendary Member
My mother used to say Spag Bog. Thankfully I don't bother with either as Spag Bol is disgusting and could easily be made less messy using pasta shells.

What even is the point of Spaghetti? :cursing:
Spag bog is a french delicacy. It's much like spag bol, but served on a toilet seat instead of a plate.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
One of the reasons English has been such a successful language is because of its ability to evolve.
Borrowing words and inventing new ones keep the language alive and relevant.
New ideas and technology require new words or usage, to define them accurately, and this is where English excels; after all, the purpose of a language is to communicate ideas.
This has always grated with language pedants, until such time that the new words become generally accepted.
Languages either evolve or stagnate and become redundant.
One only has to look at the changes in English words and usage since the mid 1940s to see how much different our language is compared to our grandparents.
Long may it continue.:okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom