Vocabulary question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
"Reached out" grinds my gears. You didn't reach out - you wrote to/emailed/spoke with them (delete as applicable). You reach out when someone is hanging off a cliff by their fingernails, not when you just need to communicate.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
So. The Spear-Danes in days gone by
And the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness
So, it is interesting to read why Seamus Heaney started his translation thus:
Conventional renderings of hwæt, the first word of the poem, tend towards the archaic literary, with ‘lo’, ‘hark’, ‘behold’, ‘attend’ and – more colloquially – ‘listen’ being some of the solutions offered previously. But in Hiberno-English Scullion-speak, the particle ‘so’ came naturally to the rescue, because in that idiom ‘so’ operates as an expression that obliterates all previous discourse and narrative, and at the same time functions as an exclamation calling for immediate attention. So, ‘so’ it was:
https://wwnorton.com/college/english/nael/beowulf/introbeowulf.htm

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
He didn't weep. He rolled his eyes with dismay at the slack use of the Judean language since the Roman's had arrived.

And was it the Jew's or the Roman's who were responsible for sprinkling extraneous apostrophe's around ?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
So, it is interesting to read why Seamus Heaney started his translation thus:

https://wwnorton.com/college/english/nael/beowulf/introbeowulf.htm

"Hwaet" does have an attention grabbing feel to it. But as I think I've quoted before a Lancastrian would surely have translated it thusly

"now then. The Spear-Danes in days gone by"

but it doesn't quite have the same ring to it

And a very pukka-speaking Indian mate always used to begin with "what it is right, ..." which really would sound silly here

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

I think that word is fab. How else would you describe taking something previously used and at the end of its life and modifying it to give it a new use? I can't think of a word that described this until "upcycle" came along

You just need to look at some Middle English to see how many words we take for granted today are modern creations. I hope that in the future people will look at our current vocabulary and chortle at its outdated quaintness

Top Bottom