Vocabulary question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's the difference between French and English
English has always accepted new words (hell, loads of them are French anyway) and has been happy to change words and evolve
French, on the other hand, resists change to its language and most definitely doesn't like the Anglicisation of it.
Spagbol, prepper...all part of language evolution

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Brifter instead of brake lever/shifter.
I've never understood the hostility to brifter. And I speak as a paid up language pedant. The component is a thing that only entered the world relatively recently, so there is no 'correct' word for it. Given that we need to come up with one, what in God's name makes a tortuous construction like 'brake lever/shifter' preferable to the neat, easy, two syllable 'brifter'? Seriously, can someone explain?

PK99

Legendary Member
Spaghetti Bolognese has always been a cullinary and linguistic oxymoron. There is no such dish in Italian cooking. Ragu Bolognese is served with a ribbon paste to hold the sauce. I've been cooking English Spag Bol for 45 years since going to Uni.

The American dish Mac & Cheese is very different in most recipes from the nursery food Macaroni Cheese my mum used to cook. Incidentally, the only form of pasta she ever cooked.

Levo-Lon

Guru
People who begin sentences with the word "so" all the time. So annoying.

Interviewing students on tv... Like, like like like like

Then after 10 likes in 2 sentences were supposed to take them seriously :laugh:

Levo-Lon

Guru
What's wrong with prepped, you prep a job eg "can you prep that car" or "can you get that food prepped" you wouldn't say can you do the preparation work on that car or food.

But yes the English language has changed vastly since i was a school kid.

On pointless the other day the word Color was allowed as its now in the dictionary
As was valor, well that's just wrong even by my dislexik standards.
For context, they wanted 5 letter words in the Oxford dictionary ending in OR

I blame spellcheck

Oldbloke

Guru
It's the difference between French and English
English has always accepted new words (hell, loads of them are French anyway) and has been happy to change words and evolve
French, on the other hand, resists change to its language and most definitely doesn't like the Anglicisation of it.
Spagbol, prepper...all part of language evolution
That may be true so far as the language protection bods go, but there are numerous English words widely used here; ie, le parking, jogging, snack, fast food, weekend; also many TV ads combine both languages.

D

Deleted member 26715

"For sure", is one I find strange, it seems to be restricted to people whose first language is not English & involved in sport, I wonder where it comes from.

Top Bottom