Vocabulary question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That takes us back to repurposing.

Besides, the example I was referring to was:

OK, I'll concede repurposing, but even then, it isn't quite as specific, since "upcycle" also implies the thing has been repurposed into something better not just used differently. In any case, isn't repurpose equally poncy; and I do concede the poncyness of upcycle

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Why use a short word, when a polysyllabic one is substitutable
My Canadian nephew has been known to abbreviate ''ok'' to simply ''k''. It's such a long one, after all!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That takes us back to repurposing.

Besides, the example I was referring to was:

That’s renovating.
Are you sure? I would have thought renovating more usually described something akin to repairing - returning something to its former/onetime condition. Upcycling, as I understand it, is more to do with giving something a new life as something else - ie, turn a crappy old bit of worn out furniture into a desirable piece of retro-chic. Also, why is repurposing ok but upcycling isn't? It's certainly not a word my gran would've recognised.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Are you sure? I would have thought renovating more usually described something akin to repairing - returning something to its former/onetime condition. Upcycling, as I understand it, is more to do with giving something a new life as something else - ie, turn a crappy old bit of worn out furniture into a desirable piece of retro-chic. Also, why is repurposing ok but upcycling isn't? It's certainly not a word my gran would've recognised.

I’m sure it is renovating. It encompasses bringing something back to its original condition but includes a change of use, as in the attached example...

I’m not the supreme ruler of words, just an eejit on the internet enjoying talking about words. I often argue against myself because on the one hand I can be really pedantic but on the other hand I support the view that language is an evolving, living thing and that development and innovation are central to its survival.

I do have a particular dislike for the word upcycling though. It grates on me, especially when (in my view) there are existing words that can be used instead.

You’re right about repurposing. I didn’t realise how new it was, it’s not even 40 years old.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
As the same article reports, acronyms and initialisms have begun to lose their distinct identities and are being more commonly lumped together. However, as an old pedant I prefer to uphold the original classification that I described earlier.
To that end I am launching a group to protect the status of the acronym: Acronym Retention Society for English. I’ll be the boss, or Head Of Learning Experiences. It seems a bit long-winded though, I wonder what I could shorten all that to?
It is possible, that if you wish to hold such an exalted post, you will need to go to the University of Technical Workshop Acronym Training - perhaps :smile:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We're being taken over by lazy idiots. The standard of our beautiful language is constantly hammered down by morons. Go and look at social media for a prime example of that. Spelling errors are one thing, dyslexia another, but most of it is just plain laziness.

'Aswell'
Whatevs

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
A pet peeve that I heard today,

“I need to itch my [insert appendage here]”

I feel like shouting, ‘You SCRATCH an itch! You don’t itch an itch!! Would you itch a scratch?!’

A phrase which is common in the area I live (and, perhaps, more widely), is "Can I lend ..insert object, or amount here... "

My daughter will frequently say, "Dad, can I lend £20", I point out to her that I am lending, she is borrowing.

Makes no difference, in fact, the phrase should be "Dad can I have £20", because borrowing, implies repayment at some point. ;)

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
A phrase which is common in the area I live (and, perhaps, more widely), is "Can I lend ..insert object, or amount here... "

My daughter will frequently say, "Dad, can I lend £20", I point out to her that I am lending, she is borrowing.

Makes no difference, in fact, the phrase should be "Dad can I have £20", because borrowing, implies repayment at some point. ;)
Yes, this is a common one here too. 🤬

Top Bottom