Vocabulary question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Language evolves over time we should be more accommodating and less pedantic, life is 2 to two too short to worry overly about such things..

This is true, and, no doubt, inevitable.

In the dark days when I worked, I often had to work to develop software from written specifications. Poorly worded and poorly punctuated specifications can cause all kinds of problems, so, IMHO, there is a need to be able to "do it properly" (not saying I can, by the way). ;)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Yebbut: recycle suggests the item has been broken up and the materials re-used for spare parts or melted down for scrap or whatever. ...
You describe an aspect of recycling... 'upcycle' is an unnecessary word used only by pompous twonks who don't realise how broad a term 'recycle' is. :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Smart casual annoys me.

Which is it? I'm not short tall, or fat thin. You dont buy a fast slow car or a sweet savoury Mars Bar. Smart and casual are mutually exclusive.

And don't start me on British Airways premium economy class. Do the wealthy paupers buy seats in there? Premium is the polar opposite of economy, eejuts.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Except that recycling is a verb that already adequately describes a particular act.

Racar, tourer, shopper etc with respect to bicycles are all nouns, a class of word that has a different function in the english language. Therefore, linguistically the comparison is void.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Along with those who call me "pal". I am not called "pal" by people who know me well, so I see no reason for someone who has a brief interaction with me, to even consider using this word.
Some years ago a salesman called me "pal". I said "excuse me, I am NOT your pal". That upset him... so after that, when someone says it I grit my teeth and let it go.
I actually have a friend (yes, really) ... been friends for 55 years.....when he texts me he always calls me "pal".... I find that quite nice.h

Dave7

Legendary Member
Except that recycling is a verb that already adequately describes a particular act.

Racar, tourer, shopper etc with respect to bicycles are all nouns, a class of word that has a different function in the english language. Therefore, linguistically the comparison is void.
For someone who wears stinky, smelly, farty, stained y fronts you aint bad with your nouns & verbs ^_^.
I could never get my head around them and failed English dismally:wacko:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Language evolves over time we should be more accommodating and less pedantic, life is 2 to two too short to worry overly about such things..
How do you put the lines through the words??
Someone explained it but I have forgotten now :sad:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Smart casual annoys me.

Which is it? I'm not short tall, or fat thin. You dont buy a fast slow car or a sweet savoury Mars Bar. Smart and casual are mutually exclusive.

And don't start me on British Airways premium economy class. Do the wealthy paupers buy seats in there? Premium is the polar opposite of economy, eejuts.
But they are clever eejuts ^_^

SteveF

How do you put the lines through the words??
Someone explained it but I have forgotten now :sad:
The strikeout function..... it looks like an S with a - through it, 5th button along (next to underscore) at the top of the editing box ,,, well at least on my laptop..

Top Bottom