Vocabulary question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
The strikeout function..... it looks like an S with a - through it, 5th button along (next to underscore) at the top of the editing box ,,, well at least on my laptop..
Ahh I see that
So... you type the word then touch that button and ......or touch the button before typing the words?
Let me try ^_^
Got it..... thanks.

PK99

Legendary Member
Ahh I see that
So... you type the word then touch that button and ......or touch the button before typing the words?
Let me try ^_^
Got it..... thanks.

gosh !

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
He should have shot himself much earlier for wrongly describing HHH as an acronym.
An acronym is pronounced as if it were a word, for example: radar, tardis, NATO etc.

Nope, not correct from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym

Some examples of Acronyms ..
  • Pronounced as a word, containing only initial letters
    • NATO: "North Atlantic Treaty Organisation"
  • Pronounced as a word, containing a mixture of initial and non-initial letters
    • Radar: "radio detection and ranging"
  • Pronounced as a combination of spelling out and a word
  • Pronounced only as a string of letters
    • BBC: "British Broadcasting Corporation"
  • Pronounced as a string of letters, but with a shortcut
    • IEEE: (I triple-E) "Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers"
  • Shortcut incorporated into name
    • 3M: (three M) originally "Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company"

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Except that recycling is a verb that already adequately describes a particular act.

Racar, tourer, shopper etc with respect to bicycles are all nouns, a class of word that has a different function in the english language. Therefore, linguistically the comparison is void.
Except that recycling is a verb that describes not a particular act but a variety of acts - a variety which is becoming more varied, as more of us become more aware of the merits of not chucking stuff out.

Taking a load of old newspapers, reducing them to pulp and making new newsprint is one thing. Taking an old chest of drawers that a previous age might have regarded as fit only for the scrapyard, giving it a lick of the old Farrow & Ball and scraping it about a bit before putting it out for the delectation of North London idiots at £740 is another. Either could be encompassed under the umbrella heading 'recycling', but it seems to me that there's a worthwhile distinction to be drawn between the two. Of course, we'd need to come up with a new word...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I hate (mis-) use of the word "workshop" for a meeting, and I particularly dislike its use as a verb.

I also hate "leverage" as a verb

And don't get me started on "reaching a crescendo" . As any musician could tell you a crescendo is a gradual getting louder, not the loud or exciting bit.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Nope, not correct from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym

Some examples of Acronyms ..
  • Pronounced as a word, containing only initial letters
    • NATO: "North Atlantic Treaty Organisation"
  • Pronounced as a word, containing a mixture of initial and non-initial letters
    • Radar: "radio detection and ranging"
  • Pronounced as a combination of spelling out and a word
  • Pronounced only as a string of letters
    • BBC: "British Broadcasting Corporation"
  • Pronounced as a string of letters, but with a shortcut
    • IEEE: (I triple-E) "Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers"
  • Shortcut incorporated into name
    • 3M: (three M) originally "Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company"

As the same article reports, acronyms and initialisms have begun to lose their distinct identities and are being more commonly lumped together. However, as an old pedant I prefer to uphold the original classification that I described earlier.
To that end I am launching a group to protect the status of the acronym: Acronym Retention Society for English. I’ll be the boss, or Head Of Learning Experiences. It seems a bit long-winded though, I wonder what I could shorten all that to?

glasgowcyclist

If you're interested in the English language you might find this programme interesting.

Scuffles, Swagger and Shakespeare: The Hidden Story of English.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b8ny

I enjoyed that, thanks.

I did have to laugh though when the presenter spoke to the barista in Italian and the subtitles came up with the Spanish “como estas” instead of “come stai”.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
or a sweet savoury Mars Bar
20191115_163817.jpg

I'll just drop that in there 😉

glasgowcyclist

I've "renovated" an old BSA Piston into a lamp: doesn't really work for me

That takes us back to repurposing.

Besides, the example I was referring to was:
Taking an old chest of drawers that a previous age might have regarded as fit only for the scrapyard, giving it a lick of the old Farrow & Ball and scraping it about a bit before putting it out for the delectation of North London idiots at £740

That’s renovating.

Top Bottom