Voluntary redundancy tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I have the 7 year itch and not very happy at work really. It's full of bad politics and bullying etc but I won't go into it all now. I don't want to just find a job and then walk with nothing in my pocket. I'd get over 7k if I had redundancy. It would pay off my loans. Trouble is we're too busy at the moment to even volunteer. Wondering how you could be able to help persuade them?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Are they actually looking to reduce staffing?

damj

Usual practice if they have to replace you, you wont get VR. The short answer is you'll struggle mate.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If there's too much work on, it won't happen - redundancy only happens when jobs need to be released. It's the post that's made redundant, not the individual performing the role.

If you want to leave, leave, with another job to go to if you need security of income.

vickster

Legendary Member
If not happy and/or seeking more money, find another job that pays more?

I'd want more than £7k if I were to find myself without a job, unless I knew I'd walk easily into another on same or higher salary (esp if all the redundancy money would do us pay off existing debt)

Just make sure you get your CV proof read several times before submitting to potential employers ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I think you need patience with this one, wait till the work level drops and volunteer when the Redundancy's are announced.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
If you have a 7 year itch, then i'd advise you to go and get another job. Redundancy is a last resort offered when an employers business is suffering financially, either by having to many employees, or not enough work, or combinatiom of the two. As this doesn't seem to be the case, i have no idea why or how you could possibly think they would offer such a thing, or that you could be entitled to it. It seems to me, that you want something you are not entitled to.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
On the surface it looks like wishful thinking.

But instead of leaving why not solve the problem and stay.

We had a similar problem a few months ago in our company. At the general monthly meeting I brought the problem to the attention of the management and named the main culprits in front of everyone. The problem stopped overnight and has not resurfaced yet. Its a much happier place to be working and it is surprising how many got up to support me when I raised the subject at the meeting.

Bullies are just cowards. They are easily beaten once someone makes a stand.

Redundancy is a last resort offered when an employers business is suffering financially
I wish that were true, but in fact many employers offer redundancy simply to offload their UK workers in order to replace them with cheaper workers from abroad, often India. IT depts of big companies have been decimated by this practice in recent years, and the practice is moving into other operations too.

Top Bottom