Voluntary redundancy tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
How about starting your own business, that way you can control things so that you are always happy at work.

Could be tricky engineering redundancy when you own the company.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
one that believes in globalised capitalism; so pretty much every government, of either stripe, in the UK, since the late 70s...
...and other developed countries have the same idea. Mexico and Latin America are useful for Spain, Eastern Europe for the German-speaking countries, Mauritius for France, India for the US as well as the UK.

Ultimately it's a win-win for both communities. It accelerates the development of the country to which work is offshored (however unpalatable that observation is to some who see it as part of neo-colonialism) because the offshoring companies expect developed-world standards of governance and workers' rights, and improves the kind of employment in the country from which work is offshored.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
...and other developed countries have the same idea. Mexico and Latin America are useful for Spain, Eastern Europe for the German-speaking countries, Mauritius for France, India for the US as well as the UK.

Ultimately it's a win-win for both communities. It accelerates the development of the country to which work is offshored (however unpalatable that observation is to some who see it as part of neo-colonialism) because the offshoring companies expect developed-world standards of governance and workers' rights, and improves the kind of employment in the country from which work is offshored.
I don't disagree. People like me chose jobs, careers, in IT only to find those roles became commodities. You simply have to adapt. Identify transferable skills. Change. And do a different kind of work.

Mick Rix, GMB's national officer for aviation said: "This could have all been avoided.
"BA in 2016 made hundreds of dedicated and loyal IT staff redundant and outsourced the work to India... many viewed the company's actions as just plain greedy."
British Airways: All flights cancelled amid IT crash
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40069865

Tin Pot

Guru
I have the 7 year itch and not very happy at work really. It's full of bad politics and bullying etc but I won't go into it all now. I don't want to just find a job and then walk with nothing in my pocket. I'd get over 7k if I had redundancy. It would pay off my loans. Trouble is we're too busy at the moment to even volunteer. Wondering how you could be able to help persuade them?

Be bad at your job for fifteen years, hang around like a bad smell.

It's hard to fake.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Come off it, that takes effort.

When I did my A-levels at college, the vast majority of the science and maths buildings were taken up with GCSE 'retakes'/returnees. You could do A-levels at what I guess people used to call nightschool and again huge numbers of GCSE people in the evenings too. I believe for those people it's a massive effort and commitment which is underestimated. Unfortunately much as I like the personal development side of it, sadly it isn't like it was in the 70s, 80s and 90s any more, I'm not sure these bits of paper are that valuable jobwise for the very considerable effort the people who go back have to put in.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
A levels mean nothing, I know people with them who can't boil an egg and people who never went to school who can strip engines to bits and re build them. Think I know who's more useful than someone who knows about Shakespeare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom