Volunteers wanted for London-Edinburgh-London 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Hi,

I'm the volunteers' coordinator of London-Edinburg-London 2022, a long-distance cycling event that will take place from Aug 6 to Aug 12 this year. It is a non-profit ride organised by Audax UK, and some 2000 rider from all across the world will try to ride 932 miles from England's capital to Scotland's and back. (My own take after riding it in 2017 can be found here.)

We have 13 control in between (start & finish in Debden, St. Ives/Camebridgeshire, Spalding, Louth, Hessle, Malton, Barnard Castle, Brampton, Moffart, Dunfermline, Innerleithen, Eskaldemuir and Great Easton) where the riders will get their brevet cards stamped, get food and drinks and can sleep and shower.

We need some 1000 volunteers to turn this into a successful event.

While we already have close to 700 registered - many also from outside the UK - we still need many more. This will be a great opportunity to be part of one of Britain's most iconic cycling events, and get in touch with riders and volunteers from all over the world and marvel at their machines and their madness.

Many volunteers are experienced long-distance cyclists who want to give something back to the community, others are relatives of riders, some are cyclists who want to get a first impression about long-distance cycling.... Whatever your motivation: Every hand is welcome, be it for one afternoon or for the whole week.

Volunteers stamp brevet cards and check in riders, marshall at the controls, allocate beds and wake up riders, serve food and clean tables. We are also looking for drivers who can drive vans from the start to the controls and back to organise the backdrops and shuffle kit back and forth during the event, and for mechanics who repair bikes at the controls.

We still need volunteers at every control but the biggest needs are in the remote and densely populated areas in Scotland. We offer accommodation (potentially in a shared place, but separate from rides) to volunteers as well as hot food. We can help with the logistics with regard to getting to the controls from the start, and reimburse fuel costs for volunteers who drive to the control.

Any questions? Drop me an email at volunteer@londonedinburghlondon.com

Or just register here: https://londonedinburghlondon.com/volunteer

cheers
Olaf
barnard castle hall.jpeg

Attachments

• Alston 2017.jpeg
    Alston 2017.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 18
  • barnard castle hall.jpeg
    barnard castle hall.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 18
  • barnard castle riders check in .jpeg
    barnard castle riders check in .jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 20
  • colin Chadfield reparing Olafs bike in Thirsk in 2017.jpeg
    colin Chadfield reparing Olafs bike in Thirsk in 2017.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 22
  • dormitory at louth control.jpeg
    dormitory at louth control.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 19
  • volunteer allocating free beds at Louth 2017.jpeg
    volunteer allocating free beds at Louth 2017.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 19
  • volunteers at edinburgh.jpeg
    volunteers at edinburgh.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 18
  • volunteers handing out food.jpeg
    volunteers handing out food.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Volunteers signing in riders at the finish.jpeg
    Volunteers signing in riders at the finish.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 20

OldShep

Über Member
Will volunteers from last year be contacted or do they have to apply?

Ajax Bay

Guru
And after a on and off arrangement with the Alston primary school it seems back on again. I appreciated stopping there Tuesday overnight (about 9pm to 4am). To the top of Yad Moss at dawn.

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

Will volunteers from last year be contacted or do they have to apply?
that's actually a good question - I thought Danial had done so, but apparently not. Will ask him. But there is no harm in registering yourself now ;)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
And after a on and off arrangement with the Alston primary school it seems back on again. I appreciated stopping there Tuesday overnight (about 9pm to 4am). To the top of Yad Moss at dawn.
It's not a control, just overspill if required.

yello

That was the one control I didn't stop at either way :blush:
Don't worry, you weren't by any means the only one! It was comparatively quiet on the way up but less so on the way back - and as we weren't a control, there was no need to stop. And not being open 24/7 meant we didn't always fit in with an individual's ride schedules/progress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

Thank you, Ian. Don't think it was a 'control' in 2017: ie visiting it was optional, not required, and really designed for Day 3/4 going south rather than on Day 2 going north. The southbound leg was Brampton to Barnard Castle (84.7 km +1039 m / -938 m).
Website for registering as a volunteer: https://londonedinburghlondon.com/volunteer
I loved Alston in 2017 and stopped there twice. It was relatively quiet and volunteers were extremely friendly, and it was somehow bizarre atmosphere as the school was half a construction site.

On the way back, I slept there rater than at overcrowded Brampton and arrived at 2am-ish. Sleeping at Alston was key for me being able to return to London with just one more night of sleep (at Louth, where I also arrived very late), then making it to the finish at some point after midnight. Had I stayed in Brampton instead, that may not have worked out this smoothly.

It is a shame we cannot make a proper control work in Alston this time.

Top Bottom