Volunteers wanted for London-Edinburgh-London 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I suspect they will operate Alston much the same as last year. I arrived there about 5 hours before you, @redfalo as I knew they had taken over the youth hostel and assumed that beds would be available. One of the volunteers there I'd been working with 3 days earlier setting up the start, dishing out clothing+.
Saw him again at the finish, where on the last morning together we manned the gate, welcomed people in - directed the tired riders to the bike rails - and triaged those with minutes to spare straight to the school's front door (finish check in) and then completely packed up the finish that Friday. Looking forward to more of the same in August, but not riding this time.

yello

It was relatively quiet and volunteers were extremely friendly, and it was somehow bizarre atmosphere as the school was half a construction site.
Ah, so you didn't meet me then? ;)

Yes, the construction site aspect was something to manage. No showers either, that caused a few 'conversations'! Still, it was all surprisingly good fun and I'd not hesitate to volunteer again. You build a real sense of comradery with the other volunteers, and put yourself at willing service to the riders - it was actually quite special tbh.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Edited: Alston in 2017 (and @yello can be friendly and agree or otherwis;)e ) flew a bit 'under the radar. It was not a control per se, more designed overflow in case Brampton got too busy. Organisers didn't want to encourage people too much to stop there so pre-ride messaging was a difficult balance. That meant they were pleased to see anyone and felt a tad underused. Think this is partly due to riders just following the pink line (gpx file) and not actually having a clue where they are, or what the next village/town is.
Not easy to hit the 'mummy bear' messaging v resource balance.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Question...
Why would you be in Dunfermline on a journey from London to Edinburgh ?
Previous versions of LEL have had as the 'destination' a control on the southern outskirts of Edinburgh. The controls are (almost) all schools: there are none suitable in central Edinburgh.
(1) There is an obvious attraction to seeing the castle, Princes Street et al, if you're 'doing' LEL (particularly for our visitors from abroad). (2) Going just north of the Forth also allows a double crossing of the 'old' Forth Bridge and the views and photo opportunities that affords. (Bear in mind that LEL draws some inspiration from PBP and that has a bridge into Brest.)
(3) A very much tertiary 'benefit' is that it allows a route to be selected of just over 1500km: randonneurs have a 'thing' about full hundreds.
So this year the route heads from the SW (Moffat) through Livingstone (now there's an attraction) and across the bridge to Dunfermline. The route south recrosses the Forth and passes through Edinburgh city centre (there's an excellent cycle path in all the way in from S Queensferry) before exiting SE through Bonnyrigg towards the Moorfoot Hills.

pjd57

Veteran
Previous versions of LEL have had as the 'destination' a control on the southern outskirts of Edinburgh. The controls are (almost) all schools: there are none suitable in central Edinburgh.
(1) There is an obvious attraction to seeing the castle, Princes Street et al, if you're 'doing' LEL (particularly for our visitors from abroad). (2) Going just north of the Forth also allows a double crossing of the 'old' Forth Bridge and the views and photo opportunities that affords. (Bear in mind that LEL draws some inspiration from PBP and that has a bridge into Brest.)
(3) A very much tertiary 'benefit' is that it allows a route to be selected of just over 1500km: randonneurs have a 'thing' about full hundreds.
So this year the route heads from the SW (Moffat) through Livingstone (now there's an attraction) and across the bridge to Dunfermline. The route south recrosses the Forth and passes through Edinburgh city centre (there's an excellent cycle path in all the way in from S Queensferry) before exiting SE through Bonnyrigg towards the Moorfoot Hills.
Sounds great.
I've been promising myself a run through from Glasgow to do the Forth Bridges.
Canal via Falkirk, Kincardine bridge , back via Forth road bridge and canal .
100 miles and if there's such a thing as an " easy 100" this might be it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Edited: Alston in 2017 (and @yello can be friendly and agree or otherwis;)e ) flew a bit 'under the radar. It was not a control per se, more designed overflow in case Brampton got too busy. Organisers didn't want to encourage people too much to stop there so pre-ride messaging was a difficult balance. That meant they were pleased to see anyone and felt a tad underused. Think this is partly due to riders just following the pink line (gpx file) and not actually having a clue where they are, or what the next village/town is.
Not easy to hit the 'mummy bear' messaging v resource balance.

Riders not knowing where they are is just a result of that rider being the sort who is unaware. Don’t think the navigation method makes a difference. There are plenty of signposts to know where you are. If you’ve studied the route in advance you’d know where Alston is on the route as well. Hard to not know you are there.

Top Bottom