Voodoo Bizango 2013 - Drivechain - what to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrimUpNorth

Hi,

I've a Bizango 2013 and had the pleasure of braking my chain on a ride yesterday. Luckily it was only a 45 minute walk to a nearby bike shop and they replaced the broken link (shout out to Nivara Cycles in Dorking) so I could get home.

As the bike is old I'm thinking it might be a good opportunity to spend a little cash on replacing the chainset as well as getting a new chain. The original chainset is the Shimano Alivio FC-M431, 44/32/22T Octalink. I appreciate the bike is old and I am still in the early days of getting back into mtb'ing and so I'm wondering if I should just get the replacement chainset or if I should look to do a "budget" migration to a 1x - if indeed that is possible on a budget.

Before anyone says....I can't afford a new bike!

I have to admit I don't really know much about this, so am after a steer.

Is a budget 1x even a starter? And if it is what should I be looking at?

And if the 1x isn't a viable option, what would be a good like for like replacement for the Shimano Alivio FC-M431? Along with that, what would be a good 9 speed chain. I had a quick google and the Shimano CN-HG53 was one recommended.

FYI this is the same bike - https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1637495/

I'd really appreciate any help.
Thanks

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why do you want to move to a 1x drivetrain? Nothing much wrong with what you already have by the sounds of it. If everything is working correctly except for the worn/broken chain then you just need a new chain and possibly/probably a new cassette.

Many people, myself included, swear by KMC chains. £50 would see you back on the road with a new chain and cassette. Maybe a little more £££ if you need a shop to fit them for you. :okay:

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

Why do you want to move to a 1x drivetrain? Nothing much wrong with what you already have by the sounds of it. If everything is working correctly except for the worn/broken chain then you just need a new chain and possibly/probably a new cassette.

Many people, myself included, swear by KMC chains. £50 would see you back on the road with a new chain and cassette. Maybe a little more £££ if you need a shop to fit them for you. :okay:

Thanks for getting back. As I was going to spend some money anyway I was wondering if moving to a 1x would be an option that's all. I do want to replace the Shimano Alivio FC-M431. Sorry to be stupid but when you say a new KMC chain and cassette do you mean the rear cassette?

With regards to who does the work, I'm all for learning and am lucky to have a couple of friends who will be able to help me.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yes sorry, rear cogs/cassette. A new chain will often run badly on a used cassette if the wear has gone past a certain point. Sometimes this beds in and sometimes it doesn't. You can try the new chain for a ride and see how it goes, but worth having the new cassette on hand just in case.
Especially as you are still learning I suggest you only replace things as they wear out. You will learn far more about repairs and maintenance this way rather than just ripping out potentially good kit and fitting all new.

If it helps, I am running a 3x9 drivetrain (without the smallest chainring as i never used it) on my mtb and this is perfect for the mixed use riding I do and certainly doesn't hold me back.

OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

Yes sorry, rear cogs/cassette. A new chain will often run badly on a used cassette if the wear has gone past a certain point. Sometimes this beds in and sometimes it doesn't. You can try the new chain for a ride and see how it goes, but worth having the new cassette on hand just in case.
Especially as you are still learning I suggest you only replace things as they wear out. You will learn far more about repairs and maintenance this way rather than just ripping out potentially good kit and fitting all new.

If it helps, I am running a 3x9 drivetrain (without the smallest chainring as i never used it) on my mtb and this is perfect for the mixed use riding I do and certainly doesn't hold me back.

Great - thanks for the details. So I'm thinking I need :

- The replacement for the Shimano Alivio FC-M431, 44/32/22T Octalink (possibly something like this )
- KMC chain - this sort of thing ?
- Rear Cassette....if required - could you recommend one?

Thanks for the help

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Chain is the one I would use. Cassette is your choice but can be any 9spd from Shimano or SRAM as long as the max/min youth sizes match. I like the SRAM PG950 cassettes, seem to last well.

Why are you changing the chainset? Unless there is something wrong with it this is almost certainly not going to improve anything.

Sharky

Guru
it was only a 45 minute walk
Please get yourself a chain splitter tool. It only takes a few minutes to cut out the bad links and rejoin the chain. I hate to hear of people having to walk home/to an LBS, just to fix a split chain.

battered

Guru
Please get yourself a chain splitter tool. It only takes a few minutes to cut out the bad links and rejoin the chain. I hate to hear of people having to walk home/to an LBS, just to fix a split chain.
+1, and learn how to use it. Practice on the old one, in comfort at home.

DRM

Guru
If you can’t afford a new bike, you can’t afford a 1x conversion, you will need, new rear wheel or an 11 speed free hub, shifter, 1x crankset, new chain, 1x cassette, suitable rear derailleur, bottom bracket, and you may as well fit new inner and outer gear cables while you’re at it, as pointed out on a previous post a cassette is £90 on it’s own, just replace your current chain and cassette
https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/XT-1x11-speed-Upgrade-Kit-p62525/
https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/XT-SLX-LX-BB-MT800-Hollowtech-II-Bottom-Bracket-p43964/
this will give you an idea of cost, budget for the bb on top of the kit

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

Just an update:

I've stuck to the 3x and have.....

1. Added a new KMC X9 9 Speed Chain
2. Replaced the old cassette with a new Shimano hg400 9-speed 11-32t
3. Took apart the chainset and gave it a degrease
4. Gave the derailleur jog wheels a good clean
5. Put it all back together, reindexed the gears and everything is looking good

So the next thing I'm thinking is to replace the middle and large chainrings as they are original and are looking slightly warn (the small doesn't look too bad). There are some Shimano Alivio FC-M431, 44/32/22T Octalink chainsets on Ebay but I'm a bit wary of buying one as although they say they are in the UK I have a feeling they might be in China. I emailed one guy asking where it would be sent from and he didn't answer.

Thanks for all the help with this. The journey continues....I'm about to add another thread on the headset!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Octalink chainsets
Do not buy an Octalink (I or II) chainset.
Do you know what you have now? (Square taper or more likely Hollowtech 2, maybe something else). Unless the BB is making noises, leave it alone.
On what basis do you think the chainrings are "slightly" worn? If in doubt, don't replace.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom