VPN's - any recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Apparently IPVanish can though I’ve never tried it and depends on make and model of your router.
Yep, depends on the router firmware completely. I've seen ones supporting ipsec, pptp, and openvpn.

Linus55

Hope this isn't a thread hijack but does anyone know which vpns can be applied at router level so that all devices in the house using wifi are hidden
I am using PureVPN on Router Level and its connected with five different devices It's does work great so far, Also it does have features like port forwarding,P2P Protection, and IPV6 Leak Protection which make it easier to secure your wifi, You can check more info about its features in UK from here: https://www.purevpn.com/uk-vpn-services.php

Venod

Eh up
I use Nord VPN, one word of warning, I was transferring some money from my bank account to another account and was asked to call them, I had an interesting conversation with a security guy who wanted to know why I was on a German ISP, I wasn't but that's how it appeared at his end.
He was giving me a lecture and said I shouldn't bother with an VPN, I had to point out to him it was my computer and connection and would use it how I want but I appreciate your security and it shows it works, but could I please just transfer my own money, after lots of questions and checks the transaction was approved.
So next big transfer I will make sure I am not connected to the VPN.

Last edited:

Michael45

I used a lot of VPNs while I was on the road for work because I'm concerned about my data while on public wifis. Was using Express, then I switched to Nord just because it was cheaper. Worked as good as Express if not better. Just resubscribed last weekend with a great discount for black Friday. I don't know if can post it here for others to use, but here it goes: https://nordvpn.com/coupon/deal/?coupon=BLACKOFFER

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I don't often use a public VPN as I have one through work that I use. However, when I want to use one outside of the usage my company would be comfortable with I use Windscribe VPN. I have 20GB free a month and it seems to work very well.

I use Nord VPN, one word of warning, I was transferring some money from my bank account to another account and was asked to call them, I had an interesting conversation with a security guy who wanted to know why I was on a German ISP, I wasn't but that's how it appeared at his end.
He was giving me a lecture and said I shouldn't bother with an VPN, I had to point out to him it was my computer and connection and would use it how I want but I appreciate your security and it shows it works, but could I please just transfer my own money, after lots of questions and checks the transaction was approved.
So next big transfer I will make sure I am not connected to the VPN.
Interesting. Doesn't your vpn allow you to select an apparent uk ip address?

Re nordvpn, is it easy to use on android and chromebooks?

Looked at this a while ago and seem to remember that chromebook usage was tricky/problematical?

Am thinking of using a vpn for an android tab and smartphone and two chromebooks. Don't use anything windows anymore.

I assume nordvpn are trustworthy? Some of the cheaper vpn deals worry me a bit - protect yourself from public wifi snoopers only to hand everything to some mysterious vpn company?

Michael45

Can I ask how much you paid? Payment is in dollars? See my other question above about nordvpn on android and chromebooks please.
To answer your older question, when choosing a VPN provider always do your research. If the VPN is based in any of 14 eyes countries, like USA, UK, AU, and so on, they are not safe. For example, if you did something illegal while using one of these VPNs and the authorities requested information about you from the VPN provider, they WOULD NEED to cooperate and give up your activity data. In this particular case Nord is fine because they are located in Panama (which is not an enemy of the internet).

I use nord on android and it works just fine. Not sure on chromebooks, never tried it.

With the coupon that I provider earlier in the thread, I paid exactly $107.55 for a 3-year resubscription.

Venod

Eh up
Interesting. Doesn't your vpn allow you to select an apparent uk ip address?

Yes you can connect to various countries, I usually connect to UK, I may have been on the day I contacted the bank, but he did think I was in Germany, I have never knowingly selected Germany as a connection,so who knows.

Re your other post.

There is a Nord Android app so its very easy to use, don't know how easy it is on a Chromebook, but aren't they android based ? there is a Nord extension for the Chrome browser in windows.

To answer your older question, when choosing a VPN provider always do your research. If the VPN is based in any of 14 eyes countries, like USA, UK, AU, and so on, they are not safe. For example, if you did something illegal while using one of these VPNs and the authorities requested information about you from the VPN provider, they WOULD NEED to cooperate and give up your activity data. In this particular case Nord is fine because they are located in Panama (which is not an enemy of the internet).

I use nord on android and it works just fine. Not sure on chromebooks, never tried it.

With the coupon that I provider earlier in the thread, I paid exactly $107.55 for a 3-year resubscription.
Thanks for the reply michael, though not planning on doing anything illegal.

Top Bottom