Vuelta a España 2012 (with spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
I not sure if he is riding but if so, I hope Nicolas Roche (bias I know) makes a go for it, he had an excellent TDF, not a great TTer but as there's only one of 40km and carrying good form, I can only hope, :smile:
Roche finished just outside the top ten I think? Strange the way he's never really lived up to expectations though, but it must be tough living in the shadow of his dad. I think it was a bit the same for Axel Merckx.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Nico has less than zilch chance with hills as sharp as those outlined above but iit's unlikely he'll be riding it anyway. I think his best career move would be to become a super-domestique for someone like Wiggins or Froome with an occasional stage win opportunity. He seemed a slightly troubled soul in his autobiog. and a bit in awe of some of the big boys in the peloton.
I coulda been a psychologist, you know, if I'd had the time:rolleyes:

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Stephen had certain advantages that Nico probably lacks... Allegedly.

Talking of Roche Sr, I was thinking the other day how GB is now officially almost as good as Ireland at cycling. And Australia too. Just need a few more green jerseys... Come on, Cav!

I'm reserving judgment on Cobo. I don't trust the team he's with but the evidence is inconclusive - the estimates I've seen for his power output on the Angliru last year seem to place his performance within the realms of credibility. Just.

Either way, that Cobo vs Froome showdown on stage 17 was one of the most exciting and memorable bike races I've ever seen. Hoping for more of the same this year.

d.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cobo has been suss since he the Saunier Duval days when he allowed Piepoli to beat him in the infamous Ricco tour. Ricco predicted that Piepoli would win on the Hautacam as a reward for helping him. The other two got nicked for EPO but Cobo didn't somehow. Those three were sprinting up the mountains like goats, riding Evans, Schleck etc off their wheel with ease.
He latterly spent a year at Caisse d'Epaigne when he did nothing at all. Moved to a Spanish team and won the Vuelta. Nothing conclusive but definitely high on the radar. Rarely does well outside the national borders. Wiggins has shown that you can do well in races before the event you're targetting so I find his dreadful form prior to 'peaking' at the Vuelta slightly hard to believe. But I'm not a hater or a witchfinder-general!^_^

U

User169

What happened to Mollema and Gesink this tdf? Crashed out or under-performed? I was away for the first 2 weeks so have a few bits of memory missing.

Both got a bit bashed up and then retired. Gesink's in London now for the 'lympics and Mollema's riding the post-tour crits, although both are down for Burgos and then the Vuelta.

There's a crit on Thursday not too far from away, so I'll probably go and have a watch. Mostly Rabo and Vacansoleil riders, but Basso and Zubeldia are signed up too.

david k

Hi
the big question: Can Froome do it? I'm not sure myself. His season has been built around peaking for the Tour, and those three weeks are going to have taken a lot out of him. Will he have enough left in the tank for another three weeks of gruelling effort?
d.

or maybe it will help him, the best training you can get ive heard cyclists say

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It's usually on Eurosport, don't know about ITV4...

ITV4 cobbled together some coverage at the last minute last year when they realised there was British interest. It was a bit slapdash, and didn't have any Phil'n'Paul commentary (you may not necessarily regard this as a bad thing) but it was certainly better than the usual level of terrestrial coverage - ie nothing. I imagine they'll give it better treatment this year, though it's still highly unlikely to have Phil'n'Paul.

d.

ITV4 cobbled together some coverage at the last minute last year when they realised there was British interest. It was a bit slapdash, and didn't have any Phil'n'Paul commentary (you may not necessarily regard this as a bad thing) but it was certainly better than the usual level of terrestrial coverage - ie nothing. I imagine they'll give it better treatment this year, though it's still highly unlikely to have Phil'n'Paul.

d.
I hope so - I don't have Eurosport and I'm becoming somewhat of an addict :cry:

montage

God Almighty
Hard to see past Contador, though if Froome is on form, we don't really know the true extent of his climbing prowess yet

Top Bottom