Vuelta a España 2012 (with spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Doesn't look like it's going to be broadcast by ITV this year. Disappointing.

Too early to say imho. I'm going to check again this friday.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Sky's team is pretty much as predicted: Froome as the GC contender, with Uran and Henao as deputies, supported by Xandio, Flecha (who will probably be road captain), Pate and Stannard, plus Swift for the sprints.

Saxo Bank can't really match this supporting line-up but Contador can probably do most things on his own, so is it just going to be Sky vs. Contador this year?

Great news on the highlights - that'll do me nicely.

Part of me wants Froome to win - he deserves it after the Tour and last years Vuelta. Another part of would quite like to see him handed his arse on a plate, preferably by one of the Colombians, just for the comedy value that Michelle Counde will provide on Twitter. :evil:

Great news on the highlights - that'll do me nicely.

Part of me wants Froome to win - he deserves it after the Tour and last years Vuelta. Another part of would quite like to see him handed his arse on a plate, preferably by one of the Colombians, just for the comedy value that Michelle Counde will provide on Twitter. :evil:
I feel the same :biggrin: This years Tour put me off Froome abit, he always said the right things in pressers but never quite looked like he meant it. Would be funny to see him get dropped and only Uran & Henao to follow, wonder if we'll see some gesticulating from them two :biggrin:

The Couch

Über Member
My guess would be that Contador wants to show the world that he is the best (whether that is true or not, I don't care).
Froome in top shape shouldn't be far off from the level of Contador, but as said here before, will he still be?
Van Den Broeck must like the fact that there is less than half the time trial kilometers than in de TdF, but ha also has a heavy TdF under the belt.
If Rodriguez will want to make up UCI points to Wiggins, he might go full out for the victory in the all the short steep uphill finishes and take some seconds everytime from the riders who are more fit for long climbs and steady tempo (e.g Van Den Broeck).

What do you guys think of Thomas De Gendt as a potential top 5, he will kick climber's ass in the individual time trial (even as it is short and quite "climby") and the further in the tour, the better he seems to get, so he might also do some damage in the ride to Bola del Mundo.

Is there any rider from the Spanish teams that might surprise in some climb stages?

Dont think its even a case of Froome being on top form (he probably is) but will he be able to handle the pressure of being a team leader, also its been said that he doesn't know how to pace himself so he'll have to be careful he doesn't go on attacks only to blow up, think thats why Flecha is in there and he'll be able to keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't do anything silly. Im looking forward to seeing Bert back but he could just as easily bomb, not saying he will of course but everyone seems to think he's already won it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The bookies think Bertie is nailed on.
I'm not a huge Froome fan either but at least he's clean (:thumbsup:) and deserves the chance to win a GT after helping Porte win the T de Algarve and Brad to win the TdF. Cobo should be better prepared than he was when he was in France.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I feel the same :biggrin: This years Tour put me off Froome abit, he always said the right things in pressers but never quite looked like he meant it. Would be funny to see him get dropped and only Uran & Henao to follow, wonder if we'll see some gesticulating from them two :biggrin:
Why should Froome look anything other than a little bit pissed off? For all that a cyclist needs a good team to win a stage race it isn't a team sport. Nobody refers to Bic's TdF win in 1973 and few even remember which team Ocana rode for, it's regarded as his personal victory.

If Froome feels, rightly or wrongly, that he could now be a double GT winner had he not had to ride for Wiggins he is bound to be a bit unhappy. He did his job and did it well, any other year second in the tour would have been sensational and he would have entered the "Who is the best ever Brit" debates. This year he is just that other guy who came second, completely ignored by the mainstream media.

I hope he wins the Vuelta, or at least gives the winner a bloody good run for his money.

Why should Froome look anything other than a little bit pissed off? For all that a cyclist needs a good team to win a stage race it isn't a team sport. Nobody refers to Bic's TdF win in 1973 and few even remember which team Ocana rode for, it's regarded as his personal victory.

If Froome feels, rightly or wrongly, that he could now be a double GT winner had he not had to ride for Wiggins he is bound to be a bit unhappy. He did his job and did it well, any other year second in the tour would have been sensational and he would have entered the "Who is the best ever Brit" debates. This year he is just that other guy who came second, completely ignored by the mainstream media.

I hope he wins the Vuelta, or at least gives the winner a bloody good run for his money.
Then he should have signed with Garmin when he had the chance. He'd have had a clear run at the Tour.Signing with Sky, knowing full well what the deal was, means he has no right to complain. Like I said, he deserves full team support on the Vuelta and at least A.N Other GT, but looking pissed off and humpy, plus whining to the press during the race doesn't earn him any sympathy.

Top Bottom