Vuelta a España 2012 (with spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ITV4 cobbled together some coverage at the last minute last year when they realised there was British interest. It was a bit slapdash, and didn't have any Phil'n'Paul commentary (you may not necessarily regard this as a bad thing) but it was certainly better than the usual level of terrestrial coverage - ie nothing. I imagine they'll give it better treatment this year, though it's still highly unlikely to have Phil'n'Paul.

d.
The Spanish tv coverage last year was pretty dire (loved the dubbed in helicopter noises...) and the commentary bloke (some Aussie who I've never heard of) was terrible. That said, I'm still pathetically grateful to get any coverage at all and the absence of the Chuckle Brothers is no bad thing at all.

raindog

er.....
I hope so - I don't have Eurosport and I'm becoming somewhat of an addict :cry:
bookmark this
http://www.procyclinglive.com/livestream/

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Here's a slightly tangential thought...

Sky to pick Geraint Thomas for the Vuelta in order to get him back into race shape in time for the Worlds in September... hmmm?

d.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
ITV4 cobbled together some coverage at the last minute last year when they realised there was British interest. It was a bit slapdash, and didn't have any Phil'n'Paul commentary (you may not necessarily regard this as a bad thing) but it was certainly better than the usual level of terrestrial coverage - ie nothing. I imagine they'll give it better treatment this year, though it's still highly unlikely to have Phil'n'Paul.

d.

Matt Keenan was a lot more controversial than any of the regular commentators and opinion on them is quite polarised. Unfortunately ITV4 made the mistake of not having a co-commentator to try and moderate him.

Before ITV4 coverage got ramped up, ITV4 had a red button on satellite and sky circa 2008/9. This was the tour, not the vuelta. In theory this sort of arrangement could also make sense for the vuelta because at the moment satellite and cable aren't 'bandwidth constrained' as the euphemism goes as they were a while back (analogue been switched off on cable, Astra 1N up and running and another on the way). This wouldn't help people though because the people who would get such a service would mostly also get eurosport. I think it's less likely too after what ITV4 did last year.

mip

Will ITV4 definitely be broadcasting the Vuleta this year? Haven't been able to find any evidence either way.

Cobo has been suss since he the Saunier Duval days when he allowed Piepoli to beat him in the infamous Ricco tour. Ricco predicted that Piepoli would win on the Hautacam as a reward for helping him. The other two got nicked for EPO but Cobo didn't somehow. Those three were sprinting up the mountains like goats, riding Evans, Schleck etc off their wheel with ease.
He latterly spent a year at Caisse d'Epaigne when he did nothing at all. Moved to a Spanish team and won the Vuelta. Nothing conclusive but definitely high on the radar. Rarely does well outside the national borders. Wiggins has shown that you can do well in races before the event you're targetting so I find his dreadful form prior to 'peaking' at the Vuelta slightly hard to believe. But I'm not a hater or a witchfinder-general!^_^
Rumour is, Cobo has a Chinese swimming coach helping him :whistle:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Will ITV4 definitely be broadcasting the Vuleta this year? Haven't been able to find any evidence either way.

Advanced tv guides like digiguide probably will list bits if they are. You need someone to have a look on here for you. Sadly, I no longer have a subscription to digiguide.

If you look on ITV4's website on Friday the 10th of August, it should list that first Saturday of the Vuelta if it is on.

ASO/Unipublic have extended their deal to show the vuelta so I would think that ITV can come to some kind of agreement with them again like last year. I've no idea whether that deal was just a one off or went further into the future. But if it was a one off as it is the same broadcaster with the rights I see now reason why ITV can't get it.

lukesdad

I thought Sastre and Menchov were immense last year. Cobo doesn't have that nonce around him this year. He'll struggle. Froome may not be right physically or mentally. As we know Bertie doesn't need a team the others are just there so he can get the invite. I for one can't wait to see him back.

moxey

As we know Bertie doesn't need a team the others are just there so he can get the invite. I for one can't wait to see him back.
I'm looking forward to seeing how he does too. It'll be interesting to see how fit he is without being fully race fit

mip

Advanced tv guides like digiguide probably will list bits if they are. You need someone to have a look on here for you. Sadly, I no longer have a subscription to digiguide.

If you look on ITV4's website on Friday the 10th of August, it should list that first Saturday of the Vuelta if it is on.

ASO/Unipublic have extended their deal to show the vuelta so I would think that ITV can come to some kind of agreement with them again like last year. I've no idea whether that deal was just a one off or went further into the future. But if it was a one off as it is the same broadcaster with the rights I see now reason why ITV can't get it.
Thanks. Tried www.tvbrowser.org but it only has listings up to the 15th.

Top Bottom