Vuelta a España 2012 (with spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Oh dear god. Did I just miss another terrible Bertie/steak refererence? :blink:

oh yes you did... ^_^

montage

God Almighty
last week I spotted Cobo climbing this beast
16_perfil.png

evil, evil final climb!

david k

Hi
Why should Froome look anything other than a little bit pissed off? For all that a cyclist needs a good team to win a stage race it isn't a team sport. Nobody refers to Bic's TdF win in 1973 and few even remember which team Ocana rode for, it's regarded as his personal victory.

If Froome feels, rightly or wrongly, that he could now be a double GT winner had he not had to ride for Wiggins he is bound to be a bit unhappy. He did his job and did it well, any other year second in the tour would have been sensational and he would have entered the "Who is the best ever Brit" debates. This year he is just that other guy who came second, completely ignored by the mainstream media.

I hope he wins the Vuelta, or at least gives the winner a bloody good run for his money.
i guess we will never really know but what are people thoughts on froom winning the tdf this year if he had been allowed to go on the mountain stages would he have made up over 3 minutes to beat wiggo? could wiggo have gone harder on the mountains? i think so but ddnt need to so why tires himself out unnecessarily?

The Couch

Über Member
In Hampshire?
Maybe he was playing Cycling Manager on PC or XBOX :smile:

@david k
If Froome hadn't lost time with the puncture to Seraing (I think it was), he might have been enticed to throw team tactics in the wind in the 2 mountain stages he was feeling good. Now he was just too far behind (around 1min30) to be able to justify dropping Wiggo. Still I don't believe he would have taken enough time, my guess would be he would have ended somewhere between half a minute and a minute short.The fact that Wiggo was so good in the time trials, the 2nd best climber and having Froome loosing 1min30 in the first stage was enough to win this year's "lightweight" TdF.
It would have definitely made a more interesting final mountain stage and time trial though (and even press conference) :boxing:

Anyone has any idea whether the Spanish teams (Andalucia, Caja Rural, Euskatel) have any riders to watch out for stage victories in the high mountains?

And is it just my idea or will Liquigas have nothing really to ride for? Nibali and Basso aren't in the (preliminary) list for the GC and neither is Sagan for sprint (and short climb) finishes. I would have expected them to at least take Moser as GC rider, but he's not even in the list.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
And is it just my idea or will Liquigas have nothing really to ride for? Nibali and Basso aren't in the (preliminary) list for the GC and neither is Sagan for sprint (and short climb) finishes. I would have expected them to at least take Moser as GC rider, but he's not even in the list.

Dunno. But never mind the Vuelta, WTF is going on with Liquigas generally? They seem to be losing a lot of experienced and/or promising riders at the end of this season. Moser is a hugely promising rider for the future but I'd have thought Koren would be a better bet for this year. Basso is clearly over the hill anyway, so that seems to leave them without a realistic GC contender. It would make them an obvious destination for Froome, should he decide to leave Sky. It also makes the rumours of a Saxo-Liquigas merger look very plausible.

d.

montage

God Almighty
In Hampshire?

Just had a cheeky little holiday in spain.
He looked like he was hurting a fair bit going up it, luckily I was in the car, but there will be some huge time gaps by the end of that stage for sure!

lukesdad

Just had a cheeky little holiday in spain.
He looked like he was hurting a fair bit going up it, luckily I was in the car, but there will be some huge time gaps by the end of that stage for sure!

Built for Bertie do you think Monty ?

montage

God Almighty
Built for Bertie do you think Monty ?

Not built for mere mortals that is for sure - my friend who lives near the mountain says that car engines have been known to catch alight trying to get up that mountain. It takes a good 45 mins / hour to go up with four wheels - god knows how long they will be climbing on two

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Not built for mere mortals that is for sure - my friend who lives near the mountain says that car engines have been known to catch alight trying to get up that mountain. It takes a good 45 mins / hour to go up with four wheels - god knows how long they will be climbing on two
I hope you'll be there in your piece of rib-eye outfit Monty, as you promised?:whistle:

The Couch

Über Member
Cyclingnews 'top ten favourites' list is out... I think it's between Contador, Froome, De Gendt and Rodriguez, personally, but Talansky is the dark horse form rider (if there is such a thing). If Cobo manages to be a contender again after his s***ty season, I will be very, very suspicious indeed.
Not a believer in the Dutch riders (Gesink, Mollema)?
Anton can be the same case as Cobo: nowhere to be seen this year, but might also reappear in the Vuelta

Top Bottom