W.F. Holdsworth Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
ai no mate i'm much more worthy
if you get of the scene before 2015 i have a knew bike for lejog! just keep it in mind
now must stop being so mean
hahaha
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
First ride impressions. Stable, predictable handling. Perhaps be better with 28mm tyres for longer journeys rather than the 25mm currently fitted. Like the feel of it overall though. Lot to be said for traditional angles/geometry as regards comfort/efficiency. Feels as though it would handle weight well so will fit a rear pannier rack when I can rake one out of the attic. Just need the decals to arrive now, pump and lights and she is good to go!

young Ed

Veteran
lucky you
sounds perfect for my 2015 lejog! :tongue:
sorry will go and terrorize someone else on another thread now! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Final touches......nearly
DSCF0609 (450x338).jpg

DSCF0611 (450x338).jpg

DSCF0612 (450x338).jpg

Model name and 531 decals still to arrive

Pottsy

Very, very nice rbried.

Their shop is close to me in Putney, though sadly closing down I understand.

Can I ask why not regular drop handlebars?

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Very, very nice rbried.

Their shop is close to me in Putney, though sadly closing down I understand.

Can I ask why not regular drop handlebars?
Use drops on those bikes that I refurbish to periodish(?) style. This frame had had some butchery performed by a previous owner so not fussed about authenticity and as I only ever ride on the hoods now (it's an age thing:sad:) I did this build for rideability/comfort and ease of gear change (bar end levers). Can get just as precious as anyone else regarding authenticity when it is appropriate ie my Jensen, Flying Scot, Hill Special etc but quite happy to build for my own purposes where appropriate as in this case and on my Hercules Kestrel and Mercian Vincitore. The Mercian actually has gone the other way. Year 2000 frame yet most of the componentry is late 1970's. Should cause a bit of confusion to a collector in 50 years time:laugh:

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Hi Ed, Still dreaming then;). The panniers are modified Pony saddlebags. Easily picked up cheap at car boot sales or on Ebay. The Saddle is a French Ideale modified to Swallow style. Better Leather than the Brooks Swallow IMO, though I've a couple of Brooks Swallows on other bikes the modified Ideale just pips them for comfort.

young Ed

Veteran
yeah I'm back can't help my self! :tongue:
panniers still look nice however cheap they were, even if they were free from a skip :biggrin:
can't find the ideale saddle anywhere on eaby just comes up with horse saddles :sad:
If your so keen to hang on to this particular one I can see 3 maybe 4 other bikes in the picture so surely you can spare one. You wouldn't even realise it's gone! ;)
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Great build. Nice decal where did you get to from? Was the paint job expensive
Decals from H Lloyd @ http://www.hlloydcycles.com/ top quality, massive range and very reasonable prices. Wouldn't use anyone else, too many cowboys out there using cheap heavy vinyl. One of my brothers does the spray jobs for me at cost of paint. He is a panelbeater/sprayer in the motor trade. For powdercoating (corroded frames as it is thicker and fills the rust pits) I use PPS in Inverurie £45 :thumbsup: cheap as chips but they make a lovely job

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
yeah I'm back can't help my self! :tongue:
panniers still look nice however cheap they were, even if they were free from a skip :biggrin:
can't find the ideale saddle anywhere on eaby just comes up with horse saddles :sad:
If your so keen to hang on to this particular one I can see 3 maybe 4 other bikes in the picture so surely you can spare one. You wouldn't even realise it's gone! ;)
Cheers Ed
Select cyling in "shop by category" and they will come up, there are a few here http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cycling-/7294/i.html?_nkw=ideale+saddle&_frs=1

Top Bottom