W Yorks Get Together

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Okay, you lovely people. There was talk over the summer of a Leeds get-together and I think we should make it happen!! The difficulty (for me) is lack of weekends (one free weekend before Chrimbo which is ridiculous) so I'm proposing a school night and just meeting for drinks. Or is that wrong?

All Yorkshire people welcome! Leeds, York, Bradford, Tadcaster etc

So...when? How are people fixed w/c 10th November? Gives us a few weeks to sort diaries, and which night?

Where? Arch suggested Tadcaster as easy for everyone to get to. I'd suggest the Adelphi in Leeds if there aren't many Yorkites coming but open to suggestions!

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Why just go for drinks? Get your lights out and and ride into the night like us East Yorkshire folk!

Bokonon

Über Member
As Helen says, put on some lights and ride into the night. Or at least ride from the early evening to the late evening. Assuming most people will be in or near the city centre during the day, how about meeting in a pub in the centre and then setting off for a 10-20 mile ride once everyone* has gathered at say 18:00. w/c 10 Nov is good for me, but probably not the Monday.

*I am assuming that this momentous event will have a huge turn out!

Danny

Legendary Member
It could be quite cold at night by November and will certainly be very dark :ohmy:

Or am I being a wimp?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Night rides are great fun. Anyway I'm South Yorkshire but envious of some of the great rides round there. I know someone who lives in North Leeds who doesn't seem to appreciate the amazing places on his doorstep by bike.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Chris James said:
To be fair, Sheffield has great cycling on it's doorstep too. At least as long as you don't head East!

:smile:. I live on that side. Not too fond of Tadcaster but it has the hallowed Sam Smith Brewery.

Bokonon

Über Member
Not only will November nights be dark (as they are in all other months) and cold, but they will also, in all probability, offer wind and rain or possibly even snow. And you want to sit in the pub drinking? Where is people's sense of adventure?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
DannyG and Cathryn, you're wimps.

You don't have to spend all evening cycling in the cold and wet. Who knows, it might be one of those beautiful crisp, clear nights with a bright moon and fantastic stars. And if it isn't, you'll feel you've earned your drink when you reach the pub.

I think you'd have enjoyed the East Yorks posse's outing the other week: about forty minutes cycling, was it? - then a pub stop, then twenty minutes or so back. No big deal, but we mostly agreed that if we hadn't been out doing that, we'd have been sat in front of screens of one sort or another for the evening.

Bokonon

Über Member
Cathryn et al - do we still intend to do a meet up? As some people seem disinclined to cycle in the evening then maybe just do the pub, as long as it is near the railway station - makes getting home with the bike after a few drinks easier. Could then do a weekend ride, if anyone is interested.

colly

Re member eR
W/C the 10th Nov was suggested. How about Sunday 9th or for a ride ?
Any suggestions as to where might be convenient to meet up and so on ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
colly said:
W/C the 10th Nov was suggested. How about Sunday 9th or for a ride ?
Any suggestions as to where might be convenient to meet up and so on ?
Ah, well if you are talking about a daytime ride, that's different! It probably wouldn't be convenient for a lot of you guys, but meeting up in Hebden Bridge would be extremely convenient for me ;)! There's a direct train from Leeds if you didn't want to ride or drive over.

Loads of nice hills and valleys in these parts away from traffic and I know all of them so I could take you on a little guided tour.

If you haven't been over here before, this picture will give you a taste of the local scenery...

hebden_bridge_hills.jpg

Top Bottom