W Yorks Get Together

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Calum said:
Tell you what, being knew to the area, I quite fancy this.
Okay Calum, I'll add you to the list. It's not quite as scenic as the Yorkshire Dales round here, but it's still very nice once you get away from the busy valley roads (which my route does).

ColinJ

Calum said:
Ok, great. Shall I pencil it in for 10am on the 30th, weather permitting?
Yes, do that but keep an eye on this thread during the week in case there is a change of plan.

I see that you and colly are hooking up for the Holme Moss ride so perhaps he could help you out with a lift over for this ride too :thumbsup:? If it was summer, I'd ride over for the Holme Moss loop but it's a bit late in the year for me. I'd probably have to do some riding in the dark and I don't fancy that.

Re: the weather - It's not so much the cold air that worries me, it's the possibility of icy roads. Some of the roads we'd be using don't get much sun at this time of year and can be a bit dodgy in freezing conditions.

All being well, see you next week. I'll post details of where to meet up later. All the car parks here now are pay-and-display but they are fairly cheap. They do fill up later in the day, but at 09:45ish they should still be fairly empty.

ColinJ

We've got another couple of weather-dependent 'maybes' for the ride - Blonde and amrushton.

Provisional date/time (to be confirmed/changed dependent on consultation with the rain/sleet/snow/hail/freezing fog & ice Gods later in the week :smile:!) - 10:00, Sunday 30th November.

Provisional list of riders - ColinJ, colly, Bokonon, Calum, Blonde, amrushton.

If the ride goes ahead, I suggest that we meet up at the St. Pol car park near the river (changed - that was a more expensive, short-stay car park) Market Place car park at about 09:45, with a view to setting off at 10:00. It's harder to get to than the original. Turn down the narrow one-way street Old Gate off the A646 and follow that onto Hangingroyd Lane.

You'll need a couple of pounds or so worth of change for the pay-and-display machine (that car park is 30p/hour).

getmapimage.asp

Hopefully, I'll see y'all Sunday!

*** Make sure you check this thread on Saturday evening for final confirmation that the ride is going ahead ***

colly

Re member eR
I suggest that we meet up at the St. Pol car park near the river at about 09:45 said:
You don't happen to know if this car park has one of those height restriction barrier on it do you?

ColinJ

colly said:
You don't happen to know if this car park has one of those height restriction barrier on it do you?
I'm fairly sure that the only height barriers on Hebden Bridge's public car parks are the two at the railway station, but I'm nipping out to the shops soon so I'll check the car park just-in-case. I also want to check to make sure that it isn't a short-stay car park. You'd be wanting the space for (potentially) 5 hours or so depending on how much time we spend supping coffee and eating cake! I think the charge is about 30p/hour but I don't drive so I've never used them.

I'll get back to you on this...

PS I think there is a weight restriction on some of the car parks because I remember wondering whether a big 4x4 would weigh that much. I'll check that too. How much does your van weigh?

ColinJ

I checked the original car park and as I suspected, it's a short-stay car park intended for shoppers. (I didn't notice on my last organised ride and got ASC1951 to park there all day - oops, that could have cost him £60 if the parking wardens had booked him ;)!)

If you go back to my post with the map, you'll see that I've changed it to refer to Market Place car park. That's long-stay and only 30p/hour. There's no height restriction, but there is a 3 ton weight restriction.

ColinJ

I'm still keeping an eye on the weather expected on Sunday. Three different forecasts agree that it is going to be cold. It might be cold and clear or cold with wintry showers. If the ride goes ahead, I'll be wearing heavy duty cycle clothing, that's for sure!

I think I'll go and bodge mudguards onto my bike, just-in-case.

ColinJ

colly said:
I haven't got any mudguards...............never mind, I'll be at the back anyway. :ohmy:
You haven't seen my 15 st 7 lb bulk being slowly winched up any steep hills yet have you B)?

I think I might take a chance on not doing the mudguards. I was going to do them today, but it's nice out and I've just been asked to do a walk over the local hills. I'm busy tomorrow during the day and I hate doing things to my bike just before a ride.

It's hard to be certain about the weather, but it looks to me as though it might be clear but cold on Sunday so unless everybody else drops out, I'll be up for it.

Would anybody planning to do the ride confirm it here please?

If we know that you are coming, you won't get left behind if you are delayed by a few minutes. You could just make a last minute decision, turn up and take your chances but note - if nobody officially confirms, don't expect me to be there to guide you :biggrin: !

colly

Re member eR
Well I will be there for sure barring any kind of economic/financial disaster..................................? Umm?

I had better confirm tomorrow I think.
:blush:

Calum

I'll be there, with Colly in the van, unless something awful happens...
Even if it does, i'll still be there on the train, so count me in!

(please note, if the weather is really dire, i'll give it a miss)

ColinJ

Calum said:
I'll be there, with Colly in the van, unless something awful happens...
Even if it does, i'll still be there on the train, so count me in!

(please note, if the weather is really dire, i'll give it a miss)
If you have to come by train, the 08:45 from Leeds gets in to Hebden Bridge at 09:29. I'd suggest catching that one and get yourself a little warm-up ride in along the A646 towards Todmorden. It'd be quiet at that time on a Sunday morning. Turn round after 10 minutes and head back to HB and you should get to the car park about 09:50.

The 09:02 train gets in at 09:54. It would be cutting it a bit fine to catch that one because if there was any delay you'd be late.

Bokonon said:
I might be able to make this, providing I am fully recovered from Saturday's planned hangover and can get a bike with variable gears into a road worthy condition.
I hope you can make it!

Bokonon, Calum, Colly - I'll PM you my mobile number so you can contact me if there is a problem or if you want a final weather check. NB I don't normally carry it about with me so just text me if you decide not to come. I'll have the phone with me on Sunday morning though in case there's any last-minute problem. I'll be out in the car park at about 09:50. If you are coming and you might be late, make sure you let me know otherwise you might have to sprint up the Keighley Road after me :biggrin:.

Bokonon

Über Member
Thanks for the PM. I am now back from the pub (started at 12) and think I am due the predicted hangover. I was thinking about cycling over to Heben Bridge but might catch the train - depends how I feel!

Top Bottom