W Yorks Get Together

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Bokonon said:
Thanks for the PM. I am now back from the pub (started at 12) and think I am due the predicted hangover. I was thinking about cycling over to Heben Bridge but might catch the train - depends how I feel!

If you fancy a lift rather than getting the train just pm me.
I am meeting Calum outside the Parkinson building at 8.45 on Sunday am.
Just pm me so we know to wait for you or not.

Calum

Bokonon said:
Thanks for the PM. I am now back from the pub (started at 12) and think I am due the predicted hangover. I was thinking about cycling over to Heben Bridge but might catch the train - depends how I feel!

But dude, the ride's on Sunday! You would have got over the hangover by then! Unless there's another sesh tomorrow... :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's been very cold and foggy round here today, but at least it has stayed dry. The forecast is cold and dry tonight so I'm hoping that we won't have any trouble with ice tomorrow but we'll have to be careful on the descents just in case.

I think I'll strap my head torch onto the bike to act as a rear light if it's foggy again. I have a decent Cateye front light and I'll bring that too.

As for hangovers - I fancy a few beers tonight so I might be slightly below par myself - see you in the morning :wacko:!

colly

Re member eR
Went out this morning for a short run just to adjust some stuff on the bike.

It was COLD.

Isn't it odd how when it's just around freezing it can really get to you fast. When it's colder it seems more bareable.

Something to do with the dewpoint I expect.

ColinJ

There could be 3 others joining us, making 7 in all, but they say that they are going to stick to A-roads if it looks icy. I suppose if it happens to be really slippery, then it would be worth considering but I'd be disappointed because I really like the country roads.

Once we leave the A-road at Oxenhope, it would only be about 5 minutes before we hit the lanes and I think we'd know pretty quickly if there were going to be any problems with ice so we could change our plan then if we had to.

As for feeling cold... I don't like it and I'm not sure that colder is better, so I'm just going to wear a lot of clothing :wacko:!

Calum

Ok, i've just worked out the clothing situation... It's gonna be a baselayer, longsleeve fleecy jersey and a coat of some sort over that. Long fleecy bibs aswell. Plus overshoes and gloves. I don't mind the cold air, it's just rain/sleet/snow and icy roads that scare me. (I had a nasty accident in bristol last year thanks to black ice)

Gonna bodge some raceblades onto the bike aswell, although it looks like the roads wont be too wet.

See you at 8:45 on the steps outside the Uni building tomorrow Colly. And the rest just before 10! It's gonna be a good one!

ColinJ

I thought I'd just quickly check my bike ready for the ride and it's good job I did - there was a cut in my rear tyre and it was flat. I'm not sure that I want to use that tyre again so I've put a new one on for now. It's a pity because there was quite a bit of wear left in the old one. I might take a closer look at it next week to see if it's safe to use or repairable.

When I went to pump the tyre back up, I had a feeling that I hadn't seated it properly and went round the rim, both sides, to check. Again, good job I did. The very last inch I checked revealed that I'd pinched the tube - a blowout waiting to happen :eek:!

I've left the wheel off the bike with the tyre fully inflated and I'll check it again before I go to bed. I might have damaged the tube when I pinched it and I don't want to be messing about fixing it again in the morning...

Calum

Nightmare!

I've had a look at mine and all looks well at the moment. The front brake is a little stiff, but works fine. I'm busy with a pint of San Miguel at the moment!

Bokonon

Über Member
Colin - thanks again for organising the ride. That was a really good route and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and the weather was good as well! Good to meet Colly and Calum, shame the others didn't make it because they missed out.

Calum

Yeah it was a nice day on the bike. Thanks to you too Bokonon, you were good company! Hopefully we'll get another similar thing sorted and they'll be a few more of us. I think my toes have just about thawed out now!

colly

Re member eR
Colin..I second the thanks for organising the ride today. Thanks also for the snippets of local history/ information, made for an entertaining journey. Great route too.

Really nice ride with good company.

ASC1951

Guru
ColinJ said:
(I didn't notice on my last organised ride and got ASC1951 to park there all day - oops, that could have cost him £60 if the parking wardens had booked him ;)!)
Well, you tried, Colin but in fact I arrived a) 15 minutes late and :biggrin: with no change for the meter, so I had to park on the way out to Todmorden anyway. :blush:

I see I have missed another Forum ride. I'm afraid I was also getting some San Miguel down me, Calum, but sneaking a week off in t'Canaries where it was 20 degrees warmer than Leeds and no-one could see quite how slowly I pedal uphill.

ColinJ

ASC1951 said:
Well, you tried, Colin but in fact I arrived a) 15 minutes late and :biggrin: with no change for the meter, so I had to park on the way out to Todmorden anyway. ;)
D'oh - I'd forgotten that! It's a good job that you didn't have change for the meter because Calderdale council always have wardens out checking for parking infringements and they don't listen to excuses. "But, Colin told me to park here...!" wouldn't have got you off with it!

Hey colly, Calum and Bokonon - it was really nice to meet the three of you. I was so pleased with the way that ride turned out, having fretted yesterday about the prospects of freezing fog and ice. My spirits were really lifted by the sunshine, and the cold didn't really spoil the ride.

Information about Wycoller where we had our cafe stop.

Blake Dean trestle bridge - the foundations of which I pointed out.

'Dawson City' - the workers' shanty town I mentioned.

A photograph of Widdop reservoir which we went past on our way back (taken by andy1 a few weeks ago).

widdop_house_and_reservoir.jpg

Top Bottom