W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
The start and finish times of a "trip" for which stats are shown on screen may not match the start and end timed of the saved file, because they are different things.

I never assume that my trip info as shown on the device will match the saved info in the GPS file, because that's just not how things work. For instance when I do my 100km and 100mile challenge rides I always ensure the trip odometer is at least 101 miles or km because the ride may "shrink" when saved to GPX file.
I complete agree for distance, for many of the reasons already discussed. The discrepancy that still confuses me is between the OP’s elapsed time experience and mine. Strava doesn’t know what is shown on the device screen, only the contents of the .gpx or .tcx or .fit file.
It's the way things are.
Haha. I’m rarely satisfied with that.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Get a wheel sensor if your device supports it to give a better reading is one way around it assumg its calibrated right ,

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Haha. I’m rarely satisfied with that.
:smile:
I share your dissatisfaction, but sometimes you just have to accept that there are some black boxes and you can't really second guess what's going on inside them. I've learned from various previous jobs that equivalent data sets with different lineage will give equivalent but non-matching results. Sometimes fretting about why will get you nowhere.

D

Deleted member 26715

There is also rounding, the bane of my life, we have multiple system keeping records, we work to 6 decimal places, based on both time & currency. trying to get multiple systems to agree on a standard is impossible, each seem to round up/down in accordance with their own internal clocks & how the programmer thought it might be required. Move the code from one machine to another can make exactly the same code give a different answer, the question is if you are talking about the, 1 millionth of second does it matter, apparently it does to some of our customers.

Top Bottom