Wahoo Element Bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JB052

I use https://cycle.travel/map - truly a revelation in route planning!
It really does create some excellent routes….I download the .tcs file (rather than ,gpx), works a treat 👍

I use it locally now, but planned my LEJoG adventure earlier this year using it, & my Roam took me all the way with no problems. Well, aside from the one remote B&B I’d put the wrong address in for 🤪

Agree having had a quick look the routes seem very good especially at avoiding main roads.
Can I ask if you 'route plan' using a phone or computer as i'm still struggling to send the .tcs file from laptop to the BOLT?

Alex321

Veteran
I have the original Bolt, no TBT from Strava. But mostly I’m off-road anyway so a breadcrumb trail works perfectly - I have always got where I was planning to anyway!
OH. I thought there would have been firmware updates for it that would have included that, as with the Roam.

Agree having had a quick look the routes seem very good especially at avoiding main roads.
Can I ask if you 'route plan' using a phone or computer as i'm still struggling to send the .tcs file from laptop to the BOLT?
From a laptop you have a couple of options
1. Connect the unit to the laptop (cable) and physically transfer the file over. (I can't remember the exact folder but it's pretty intuitive).
2. Email the file to yourself (or use the cloud) and open it in your phone. Depending on Apple/Android you should be able to choose "Open with" Elemnt App. Once in the Wahoo App then "Select route" and it will transfer to unit.

(Of course, you could also do a hybrid of the two options by connecting phone to laptop, transferring file to phone and then selecting it).

If using option 1 the route will stay on the unit until you manually delete it. Over time you can end up with a lot of routes on it.
By going through the app you can delete routes easier.

This may seem like a whole lot of hassle in comparison to the likes of Strava, RWGPS etc. but I much prefer cycle.travel. and it's only a few extra clicks.
Wahoo only share their coding with the "Big Boys".

geocycle

Legendary Member
@JB052 I plan my route using cycle.travel on an iPad or laptop and save it. I then open cycle.travel in Chrome on my android phone, open the saved route from My journeys and download as gpx. I then open the downloaded gpx with the wahoo phone app. It’s easier than it sounds written here. It is possible to use cycle.travel on a phone but screen size is an issue.

mikeIow

Guru

I do my mapping on a laptop - I find using the mobile a bit fiddly, & using a laptop far easier!

Once I have the route, then save (export) those .tcs files to dropbox (other cloud storage services are available 🤪) - I had folders for each chunk of LEJoG, and now Local.

On my phone, I go to the dropbox app -> share -> Export File, then click 'Open In', then finally select Elemnt (the Wahoo app).
That gets it into Wahoo Elemnt....it's a lot simpler to do than type!!

When I am ready to go, power the Roam up, open Wahoo Elemnt on the phone (should pair very quickly), go to Routes, scroll down to the route & Click it.
There should be the option to Select the route (top right).
It usually syncs first time....once or twice I had to make sure the thing is paired (maybe close the Wahoo app & reopen it).

As @HobbesOnTour said: "This may seem like a whole lot of hassle in comparison to the likes of Strava, RWGPS etc. but I much prefer cycle.travel. and it's only a few extra clicks."
& yes, Wahoo should be ashamed how little effort they make to enable a seamless transfer from others - they pay crappy lip service to it but do naff all 🤬

Top Bottom