Wahoo elemnt one device at a time?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've also had more software issues with Wahoo than I ever have with Garmin and i really don't like that you can't connect the Wahoo to a computer at all
We're all different in terms of what we like, but I have to correct you on the computer connection.
The Elemnt can be connected to a p.c. (Windows) and be treated as an external drive.
It can even be connected to an Android phone or tablet (with appropriate adapter cable). Combined with OSMand + it gives the capability of totally offline planning & navigation. (It works with Garmins too, although I've no direct experience).

I use my Elemnt exclusively for navigation and have had one issue with the mapping in three years where a road I was on wasn't shown.

Mark pallister

Also they do reroute,and I think the screen is miles better than the garmin when not back lit
the best screen on a garmin is the 130 in my opi

Mark pallister

Used one about 3 months ago with the Wahoo team.
They don't re-route and you can't scroll the screen. Personally don't think the screen on the Roam is anywhere near as clear as the Garmin.
Athletically it is not pleasing to look at either (the bolt is lovely).
I've also had more software issues with Wahoo than I ever have with Garmin and i really don't like that you can't connect the Wahoo to a computer at all
Why would you want to connect to a computer ?

Why would you want to connect to a computer ?
Can't speak for the other poster but for me it's handy if I have a lot of gpx files to transfer in one go. I just drag and drop and they are on the unit (not the phone app).

As for a wired connection to a phone, it's a valuable failsafe for offline planning when on tour in places with little or no internet connectivity.
To import a route you have created offline (think OSMand+) into the app (and from there to the phone) an internet connection is still needed.
No internet is needed if using a cable between phone & unit (the app is bypassed).

broady

Veteran
Good to hear that the Roam can connect to a computer. The reason to connect is to sort out corrupt files (on my bolt and Elemnt you had to run the factory reset to resolve.
The Roam is the only Wahoo product I haven't owned, but just felt that it was no where near as good as the hype.
I'm in no way saying that any of them are bad products

Mark pallister

Can't speak for the other poster but for me it's handy if I have a lot of gpx files to transfer in one go. I just drag and drop and they are on the unit (not the phone app).

As for a wired connection to a phone, it's a valuable failsafe for offline planning when on tour in places with little or no internet connectivity.
To import a route you have created offline (think OSMand+) into the app (and from there to the phone) an internet connection is still needed.
No internet is needed if using a cable between phone & unit (the app is bypassed).

Mark pallister

👍🏻 I thought everything between the phone and the roam was done by Bluetooth apart from updates ?

Last edited:
👍🏻 I thought everything between the phone and the roam was done by Bluetooth apart from updates ?
That is true.
Between the phone app & the device.
(When your route is already in the app you can transfer via Bluetooth).

However, to take a gpx file into the app requires the phone to have an internet connection.
(The route is a gpx file somewhere on your phone. It has not yet been imported into the app).

It's a subtle, but significant difference.

If you want to test this, put your phone in Airplane mode (no wifi, no data), click on a gpx file in your phone (perhaps one you've downloaded already) and try to open it in the Wahoo app. It doesn't work.

Say for example you're doing a 10 day tour and create 10 gpx files, one for each day.
If you load all 10 in the app at home (internet) no problem.
If, however, you leave the gpx files on your phone (not in the app) and plan to load each one daily you will either need internet or a hardwire connection between phone & unit.

Wahoo are aware of this for several years and have promised to fix it. Still waiting.

*My only experience is with the Elemnt. As far as I know the operating systems across Wahoo products are similar.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I am slowly making a move from Garmin to Wahoo, but my wi-fi is all 5G and not 2.4G, which my Wahoo Elemnt and Bolt won't work with, so I'm not getting any software updates, I still use an old garmin edge 800 for navigation until I've found a way to get updates.

Top Bottom