Wahoo problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have had my Wahoo Bolt since September and use it almost every day. I ride about 200km a week and my plan has been to make the Wahoo malfunction.

I have struggled to do this, but yesterday it did.

The Wahoo Bolt correctly recorded my 38km ride but when it sent it over to my phone only 12 km appeared. The rest of the ride was missing. Success at last

I thought of calling Wahoo or sending endless e mails for days on end. Its what I have done with Garmin for years.

But 2 button pushes on the phone deleted the faulty track and re- synced the original and sent it off to Strava and RWGPS.

How simple is that.

Use your phone instead. Never had a problem, much much clearer screen and with my charging case I get about 7 hours battery life.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The only two issues, not problems, I've had with my Elemnt, is that on night rides, it could do with an option to illuminate the screen momentarily when approaching a turn rather than have the light on permanently and run the battery down. All that happens at the moment is that the LED's flash red when I miss a turn.
Also, when I stop to check my route, the Autopause notification covers most of the map.

fatjel

Veteran
Have you dropped it at 20mph plus onto the road.
The best and indeed only way I’ve destroyed a garmin
Other than one having trouble finding a gps signal I have had 40000 + incident free Kms with garmin gps’s

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The only two issues, not problems, I've had with my Elemnt, is that on night rides, it could do with an option to illuminate the screen momentarily when approaching a turn rather than have the light on permanently and run the battery down. All that happens at the moment is that the LED's flash red when I miss a turn.
Also, when I stop to check my route, the Autopause notification covers most of the map.

With TCX files using the 30m notification, the screen lights up for a short duration. But in general, when I am doing longer Audax rides that start and finish in the dark, I use my head torch. I don't want to lose the power on the device by having the backlight on too long.

fatjel

Veteran
It was an etrex . Bought as so many reviews said it was indestructible.
First ride and it fell off going down the hill in Staplehurst.
Which coincidentally was where the ride started

PeteXXX

With TCX files using the 30m notification, the screen lights up for a short duration. But in general, when I am doing longer Audax rides that start and finish in the dark, I use my head torch. I don't want to lose the power on the device by having the backlight on too long.
I’ve mainly used gpx for navigation. I’ll try TCX and see if that’ll work... Most illuminating, thanks.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have the Bolt and it gives you a pre warning beep before you get to the junction and then a beep at the junction along with the leds showing you the way. Maybe its different with yours.

PeteXXX

I’ll recheck the settings and instructions to see if I’ve missed summat.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The weakness of the non-cycling Garmins (Etrex, GPSMap, Oregon etc) is that the handlebar mounts are crap. A hard pothole can eject even a properly seated unit.
I got annoyed at my Etrex rattling on the mount so I started using a blob of Blu Tack between device and mount to put a stop to that. If you work a bit under the tab it makes the whole thing really secure. If you overdo it, it also makes it harder to take the GPS off the bike, but that can be quite handy as a simple anti-theft measure if you are leaving the bike for a few seconds in a public place (it isn't immediately obvious why the GPS won't come off if you don't realise that the Blu Tack is in there).

fatjel

Veteran
I bought the etrex for LEL where the aa batteries seemed a good idea. Not owned a touring but a friend has one and I’m not impressed. 520 is a bit rubbish cos I can’t see the maps to follow a route (which is the main reason I own the things) and the charging lead constantly falls out on the move.
my first was a 200 which was OK. Have bought another recently but they aren’t made anymore so one day will need an alternative. Not sure I’ve heard any complaints about wahoo units so might check them out

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I bought the etrex for LEL where the aa batteries seemed a good idea. Not owned a touring but a friend has one and I’m not impressed. 520 is a bit rubbish cos I can’t see the maps to follow a route (which is the main reason I own the things) and the charging lead constantly falls out on the move.
my first was a 200 which was OK. Have bought another recently but they aren’t made anymore so one day will need an alternative. Not sure I’ve heard any complaints about wahoo units so might check them out

Why can't you see the maps - screen too small?

Sorry, off topic, but @Markymark, could you explain "charging case" sounds interesting, what is poor source?
It’s a case you put your phone in that charges it. I get about 1.5charges our if it. When your phone is low battery, press a button on your case and it charges it. You then charge your charging case when you get back home.

I have superglued one of the quad locks onto the case and it works great fir navigation. Did a 200 mile 3 day tour on it and worked perfectly. The screen is so much clearer, especially if you decide to wander off route.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It’s a case you put your phone in that charges it. I get about 1.5charges our if it. When your phone is low battery, press a button on your case and it charges it. You then charge your charging case when you get back home.

Neat, I will have to look that up, I know you are iPhone fan, so, I assume that is iPhoneX compatible?

Top Bottom