Wahoo sensors + RideWithGPS + Apple Watch connectivity question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LJR69

I have a cadence sensor from Wahoo (along with a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt). When I ride with my Elemnt I obviously get all the cadence, speed info etc in the Elemnt app. However this app is not compatible with the Apple Watch - so I don't get heart rate information.

Does anyone know if I can use RideWithGPS to take my Wahoo cadence sensor information and my Apple Health (specifically heart rate) information from my Watch? I can't quite work out how to bring it all together.

Thanks

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Apple is notoriously bad at allowing your data to be used elsewhere. I would suggest just buying a proper heart rate strap as watched based heart rate when cycling is terribly inaccurate anyway.

OP
OP
LJR69

LJR69

Totally not surprised that getting at the data is like extracting blood from a stone, but as for accuracy, are you sure that's still the case? This review suggests it was pretty accurate - but do you mean that it's specifically poor at measuring it for cyclists (and if so, do you know why that is?) Cheers.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Totally not surprised that getting at the data is like extracting blood from a stone, but as for accuracy, are you sure that's still the case? This review suggests it was pretty accurate - but do you mean that it's specifically poor at measuring it for cyclists (and if so, do you know why that is?) Cheers.
It is specifically cyclists, all watches are the same and they usually under read. The theory is that that it is the bent wrist that causes it. I have had some success both with Garmin and Apple watches strapped up tight, but when I compare to a simultaneous chest strap you can see massive differences.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Not sure if its relevant, but watches tend to use LEDs and light detectors to monitor pulse whereas dedicated HR monitors use electrical signal detection through conductive sensors. HRMs are usually right next to the heart too.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That's interesting! Thanks for the info.
I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR watch. I like it and it performs all the functions I want well. I wear this and a chest strap when I cycle. There is always a significant variation over the ride, not necessarily all the time but over the course of the ride. Averages, peaks etc.

I had a heart attack 5-6 years ago and during rehab exercises the NHS cardio physios were insistent on chest straps and also remarked that watches are not always the best indicator of HR.

OP
OP
LJR69

LJR69

Okay, thank you all - I'm sold on the chest strap then (at least for longer rides). Wahoo are going to minted if I keep going on like this :biggrin:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Okay, thank you all - I'm sold on the chest strap then (at least for longer rides). Wahoo are going to minted if I keep going on like this :biggrin:
You don't have to buy a Wahoo chest strap. Mine is a Geonaute with Bluetooth and Ant+ connectivity.

Just make sure whatever you buy has the right connectivity and easily replaceable batteries.

Top Bottom