Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
They come back in stock for very short periods of time. I was lucky and checked the wahoo website one morning and had the trainer 2 days later.

Wiggle got some stock in yesterday for a few hours - sign up to the stock alert on a few sites.

vaskochin

Hi everyone,

I bought recently kickr v5 in replace to my 2018 v4 model. With the v4 I had similar to dron video issue and it solved with bearing cleaning/repositioning in their places. Usually it helped for 500-1000km and then I dicided to replace the bearings with the new ones and sell the trainer with total odo around 8000km.
V5 has no differencies with V4 at all. You will experience all the same feelings and if you don't see those axis fits on the frame it's hard to say what trainer you are riding on. Most tests on youtube say about it.

I bought it 11.11 and right 2-3 weeks later (~700-800km) I noticed a subtle noise which very similar to you drivetrain wanting to change a gear. it subsided in 5, then in 10, now in 20 minutes. As I quite experienced user, I decided to take the cowling off and see what's inside. Everything looked good except tensioner pulley. You can see it on the videos I made for wahoo support.

01 -

View: https://youtu.be/TSWSePCzCmg

02 -

View: https://youtu.be/Or_ktMkaST8

I've contacted wahoo support and they said it seems like my tensioner pulley is faulty and they forwarded my issue to a local DS in Russia. Unfortunately we have no instant support here in Russia. They ask me to wait for an answer of local ds within 5 days in order to offer me warranty solutions. I hope they will replace the tensioner at least as I cant stop my training sessions and it's hardly possible to find a substitution without huge investment.

Also I tried to take off the alu pulley on the main shaft and failed. As I went through the thread, wahoo supposedly applied locktite there on v5 as well like on the latest v4 models.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Hi everyone,

I bought recently kickr v5 in replace to my 2018 v4 model. With the v4 I had similar to dron video issue and it solved with bearing cleaning/repositioning in their places. Usually it helped for 50Ejoyous Bearing Puller Separator Set, 5Pcs Blind Hole Inner Bearing Remover Pulling Kit with Slide Hammer, Universal Bearing Pulling Set with Case fo0-1000km and then I dicided to replace the bearings with the new ones and sell the trainer with total odo around 8000km.
V5 has no differencies with V4 at all. You will experience all the same feelings and if you don't see those axis fits on the frame it's hard to say what trainer you are riding on. Most tests on youtube say about it.

I bought it 11.11 and right 2-3 weeks later (~700-800km) I noticed a subtle noise which very similar to you drivetrain wanting to change a gear. it subsided in 5, then in 10, now in 20 minutes. As I quite experienced user, I decided to take the cowling off and see what's inside. Everything looked good except tensioner pulley. You can see it on the videos I made for wahoo support.

01 -

View: https://youtu.be/TSWSePCzCmg

02 -

View: https://youtu.be/Or_ktMkaST8

I've contacted wahoo support and they said it seems like my tensioner pulley is faulty and they forwarded my issue to a local DS in Russia. Unfortunately we have no instant support here in Russia. They ask me to wait for an answer of local ds within 5 days in order to offer me warranty solutions. I hope they will replace the tensioner at least as I cant stop my training sessions and it's hardly possible to find a substitution without huge investment.

Also I tried to take off the alu pulley on the main shaft and failed. As I went through the thread, wahoo supposedly applied locktite there on v5 as well like on the latest v4 models.

Sad to hear that these issues seem not to be resolved. :banghead:

I used a hair dryer and a pulley pulling tool to get it off of the main spindle, MultiWare 12 Pcs Bearing Splitter Gear Puller Fly Wheel Separator Set Tool Kit. It just needed to be warmed up to allow the loctite to soften. This is what I used for the bearings 5Pcs Blind Hole Inner Bearing Remover Pulling Kit with Slide Hammer.

This is the page I used in conjunction with this thread, wahoo-kickr-18-repair. It includes a parts list for bearings, bolts and washers for the kickr18.

I also backed the tensioning pulley screw off quite a lot. Mine was so tight it was bent.

dbrea

Sad to hear that these issues seem not to be resolved. :banghead:

I used a hair dryer and a pulley pulling tool to get it off of the main spindle, MultiWare 12 Pcs Bearing Splitter Gear Puller Fly Wheel Separator Set Tool Kit. It just needed to be warmed up to allow the loctite to soften. This is what I used for the bearings 5Pcs Blind Hole Inner Bearing Remover Pulling Kit with Slide Hammer.

This is the page I used in conjunction with this thread, wahoo-kickr-18-repair. It includes a parts list for bearings, bolts and washers for the kickr18.

I also backed the tensioning pulley screw off quite a lot. Mine was so tight it was bent.
Hi, thanks for the pointers regarding removing the pulley wheel. Using a heat gun, how long do you estimate needs to be heated and did the pulley wheel suffer any damage using the MultiWare? By any chance do you have pictures or video on the procedure you executed? Thank you!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi, thanks for the pointers regarding removing the pulley wheel. Using a heat gun, how long do you estimate needs to be heated and did the pulley wheel suffer any damage using the MultiWare? By any chance do you have pictures or video on the procedure you executed? Thank you!
I would fit the pulley puller, apply a small amount of tension, apply heat and using a spanner or ratchet gently apply more force to the puller. You should be able to see and feel the pulley coming off the shaft. Then that is enough heat. Using a hairdryer would be safer. Heat guns can literally melt metals if applied for too long.

brusselsprouts

Hi all,

I have a used 18' Kickr Core so unfortunately can't go the warranty route. I believe the unit has damaged bearings which I want to replace.

I'm at a bit of a stand still - I can't seem to get the pulley nut to budge at all! I've sprayed silicone lubricant on the nut and applied heat. It's tricky as the freewheel spins (I try my best to hold it steady with the belt wrapped around it).

Any tips???

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi all,

I have a used 18' Kickr Core so unfortunately can't go the warranty route. I believe the unit has damaged bearings which I want to replace.

I'm at a bit of a stand still - I can't seem to get the pulley nut to budge at all! I've sprayed silicone lubricant on the nut and applied heat. It's tricky as the freewheel spins (I try my best to hold it steady with the belt wrapped around it).

Any tips???

I presume you're talking of the Allen bolt(now conventional hex head) in one of my pictures on my very first post?

If its difficult to remove- suggest a longer bar on the socket or an impact gun to shock the bolt free. Apply heat, ideally with a small gas torch or next best hair dryer. This should soften any Loctite/thread lock that might have been applied on manufacture

thematrickx

Hi all,

Any tips???

With a Kickr Core it seems to be impossible to remove the pulley just like that.
You will need a shaft removing or crank removing tool.
Look at this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAfN6KVisKQ

He describes the pulley removal.
Good luck

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Any 3 leg puller of the right size should help. Apply heat too, I believe Wahoo started using some form of bonding shaft to pulley. If you dont apply heat the pulley could be damaged if too much force is applied

vinczo

Came across this forum as it best describes the issue I have with my kickr core - which is as written in OP "The knocking usually occurs whilst varying pedalling power, either applying more or relaxing". I understand the remedy described in the original post as well as the fact that there had been the repair kit by wahoo with tighter fitting Woodruff key. Now the question I have is whether the re-tightening of the screw with Loctite is still recommended or the new Woodruff key is more optimal. And if it's better to replace, do wahoo still send it out (I bought second hand so no warranty)? If not, can it be bought / made easily by a shop?

Last but not least - will I do any damage to the trainer when riding with this occasional knocking? Except for this issue, it works well.

thanks!!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Came across this forum as it best describes the issue I have with my kickr core - which is as written in OP "The knocking usually occurs whilst varying pedalling power, either applying more or relaxing". I understand the remedy described in the original post as well as the fact that there had been the repair kit by wahoo with tighter fitting Woodruff key. Now the question I have is whether the re-tightening of the screw with Loctite is still recommended or the new Woodruff key is more optimal. And if it's better to replace, do wahoo still send it out (I bought second hand so no warranty)? If not, can it be bought / made easily by a shop?

Last but not least - will I do any damage to the trainer when riding with this occasional knocking? Except for this issue, it works well.

thanks!!

If you can get the kit from Wahoo, great.

You can try using a medium strength locking compound on the Woodruff key and where the pulley touches the shaft. That and a new bolt should work well.

Re extra damage, I very much doubt it, if it's only a loose woodruff key :okay:

Last edited:

zfed

With a Kickr Core it seems to be impossible to remove the pulley just like that.
You will need a shaft removing or crank removing tool.
Look at this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAfN6KVisKQ

He describes the pulley removal.
Good luck

Hi!
how does that tool pronounces in english? soem M22 or M24 bearing revover/pusher? sad that video owner did not shered exact size, that tool should be attached to wahoo with shipping box! :biggrin:

zfed

Hi!
how does that tool pronounces in english? soem M22 or M24 bearing revover/pusher? sad that video owner did not shered exact size, that tool should be attached to wahoo with shipping box! :biggrin:

+could be that this is that tool:

View: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Aramox-magnetic-flywheel-suitable-scooter/dp/B08DY6LRFW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=13PEQM5EOWVGI&keywords=27+mm+24+mm+GY6+Schwungrad&qid=1675011941&sprefix=27mm+24mm+gy6+flywheel+%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-2

can somebody please confirm/share experience? Thanks!
I think it is M24 that goes into pulley.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

you could measure the diameter, if its 24mm, give it a go. Being Amazon you can usually send back items incorrectly ordered

zfed

hello!
yes, it is 24mm with 1mm thread, question was to be sure, I have box of tool that I have used one time ;D
this was what fixed my problem:
https://www.bike24.com/p222928.html
I installed new bearings - 4x 6003-2RSH from SKF. Left original bearing in belt pulley, it seemed ok.
main challenge was to take out flyweel, bearing were glued, thought I will damage my wahoo.. as not good to fix things with hummer.
Flyweel came out with bearing, that was also glues to axis, placed it in fridge, then took out and heated with hot air gun and FINALLY, it went off. Not sure why they glue in bearings, I installed only "bolt glue (blue) ). It should work.
Did 10km test drive in Watopia, seems all works fine, no noise. There is small noise from plastic cover that covers belt, but it will be adjusted tomorrow.
Good luck!

Top Bottom