Wail or future

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Could be - the folk that invented lithium ion got an award recently, at last !!! We need some investment in battery tech, as it's still way behind tech advancements, and power requirements.

Drago

Legendary Member
Heard it before. Nissan hailed some radical battery chemistry a couple of years ago that supposedly had similarly remarkable properties, but we have yet to see it.

Not to say that it wouldn't be cracking if it were made to work though. It'd be a revolution for cycling too.

Drago

Legendary Member
One charge a year for me then :hyper:
Aye, about the same for me too!

Slick

Guru
Definitely sounds interesting although we have all heard it all before. I'd love to go electric, but unfortunately I remain a bit sceptical about the whole thing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Battery tech is still in the dark ages - i.e. compared to the 'stuff' that uses power - e.g. lights output more light, but less power - LED's but the batteries haven't moved on the same level. Yes they are better. The best EV cars are powered by a whole load of cells you can get for your bike lights.... really, YES... my bike lights work on 2 or 4 of what goes into a TESLA, and that has hundreds that may/or may not fail....

Some serious work needed

Drago

Legendary Member
The best automotive battery tech still has an energy density only 1/60th that of petrol when measure by weight. Even worse, when the batteries are flat and useless they still weigh exactly the same. There's a long, long way to go before the technology matures to an almost forgettable everyday level.

Even worse is the lifespan. Early Leaf's, which aren't fitted with battery conditioning technology, are being sold in dreadful working condition. 2013 models with only 50 ot 60k miles under their belt are being sold second hand with a battery capacity permitting only 50 or 60 miles range left. Top Gear recently used such a car in one of their challenges. That makes an utter mockery of the supposed environmental benefits of the electric car.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
The best automotive battery tech still has an energy density only 1/60th that of petrol when measure by weight. Even worse, when the batteries are flat and useless they still weigh exactly the same. There's a long, long way to go before the technology matures to an almost forgettable everyday level.

Even worse is the lifespan. Early Leaf's, which aren't fitted with battery conditioning technology, are being sold in dreadful working condition. 2013 models with only 50 ot 60k miles under their belt are being sold second hand with a battery capacity permitting only 50 or 60 miles range left. Top Gear recently used such a car in one of their challenges. That makes an utter mockery of the supposed environmental benefits of the electric car.

It's OK, the figures wont look that bad, all those electric assisted cars that were sold 3-4 years ago to the fleet/lease buyers are now entering the second hand market.
In many cases the electical lead is still wrapped in the original cellophane!

The 2013 Leaf only had an original realistic range of 75 miles. So as a second hand car, it makes ideal sense for cheap, local driving, as it's only going to cost 4p a mile in electricity costs to drive. Bearing in mind 60% of all car journeys are 5 miles or less, the reduced range really won't be a problem.

Top Bottom