Wales. September. Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
BEWARE OF THE SHEEP !

.....have I told you I hate sheep ?

Funny - you never mentioned it...

It's a good job you didn't come on the FNRttC last weekend!

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Give us a bit more to go on, MAC. On road? With lots of clobber? What kind of accommodation? Are hills and mountains a chore, or the whole point of it?
Oh go on then.

Road, paths and tracks are all fine but really want to avoid fast busy roads as much as possible. Carrying my camping gear and hope to use it most nights. Hills yes but not to the exclusion of all else.

Does that help?;)

I did the Celtic Trail earlier this year from Chepstow to St Davids, and there are industrial parts such as Port Talbot (but did get to watch them filming Merlin!)

Most of the route though is fun and scenery is good, getting better as you go west.

St Davids is worth a visit in ts own right

I know, I was joking. Lots of it down here. Harry Potter and Russell Crowe's Robin Hood film both used Freshwater West for location work...

Crankarm

Guru
Get yourself some OS Landranger maps and plot your own route on yellow and white roads and tracks. I avoided National cycle routes as some take you down some very dodgy roads with traffic.

Last year I rode a nice circuit from Abergavenny, the Gospel pass to Hay on Wye, Llandrindod Wells, Rhayader then up to Machynelth, around and back. The moutain road between Machynelth and Llanidloes is stunning. Also went west from Rhayader across the hills along a deserted track past Claerwen reservoir to Ysbyty Ystwyth round past Devil's Bridge to Cwmstwyth then on and up to Machynellth. Then north west to the coast Tywyn before coming back down toward Llandovery around Lynne Brianne and along the old Roman to Sennybridge, stunning views accross the top, deserted except for sheep, horses and hills all around, then continuing east to back across the Becon Beacons to Brecon finally picking up the Brecon and Monmouth canal to Abergavenny. Have missed out lots as I went past and through so many beautiful places. Rode up the Devil's staircase as well. There are some mother of hills going north out of Machynellth into the forests. One was the steepest road I have ever pushed a bike up. It must have been nearly 1 in 2. I had to stop every 10 feet and put a rock under the rear wheel to stop it careering off down the hill it was that steep.

Anyway a brilliant short tour. Use the national cycle routes / Sustrans where you can but in all honesty you don't need them just get some OS maps and plan your own route. This is half the adventure. The only really good NCN route I can recommend is the road between Rhayader and Llangurig. I had plotted a route along the road, but when I came to ride it discovered it was an NCN route which I thought was good of them. In contrast I have seen NCN signs directing cyclists along busy A-roads which is a FAIL imho as they are dangerous and I don't want to ride with the prospect of being killed. In fact the busiest road I rode was climbing the Gospel pass, quite a few tourists in fecking huge 4x4s occupying the whole width of the little road and refusing to pull in to let you past. It helps to have an Airzound in these narrow lanes with high hedges.

There are lots of opportunities to wild camp in Wales. There aren't quite as many mozzies as in Scotland, but you still have to be cautious otherwise you get bit.

HTH

lukesdad

Funny - you never mentioned it...

It's a good job you didn't come on the FNRttC last weekend!
:hyper:

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
There aren't quite as many mozzies as in Scotland, but you still have to be cautious otherwise you get bit.
I'd get bit fully wrapped in the middle of the Antartic.

I've got a good repellent, make sure I camp away from running water, have a long sleeved top/long pants and always get into the tent in good time. They still manage to get me somewhere though. Its the itching and scabbing for days after that really bothers me. I will not be beaten though. I will camp!

Danny

Legendary Member
I did the Lôn Las Cymru in late September and rally enjoyed it - that's th Sustrans route from Chepstow to Holyhead. Gospel Pass is brillant, stunning. Th whole route was great. About 250 miles which I did in five leisurely days.
Also did most of this last year (though in July). Would strongly recommend it.

As well as maps, Sustrans does a little guide book which covers the route. There is a similar one for the Celtic Trail.

Pigo

Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to start looking at the maps today and get an idea of some of the places I want to cycle and a rough route plan.

Keep the ideas coming!
Last summer I went from Aberystwyth to Swansea around the coast - tried to keep no more that 5 miles from the sea which meant a small amout of walking too! 311 miles in total, enormous hills, some fantastic B&B's & totally mind blowing views! (plenty of wind & rain too!)

Top Bottom