Wales. September. Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gilespargiter

Veteran
You might like to know that the cycle route N of Machynlleth is subject to a great deal of disruption at the moment due to pipe laying of some sort. The very steep section N of Corris was closed altogether last wk - and likely still is. The main rd round is a viable ( and quicker) option, or you could go round the Tywyn peninsular - not so hilly and different kind of scenery.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
You might like to know that the cycle route N of Machynlleth is subject to a great deal of disruption at the moment due to pipe laying of some sort. The very steep section N of Corris was closed altogether last wk - and likely still is. The main rd round is a viable ( and quicker) option, or you could go round the Tywyn peninsular - not so hilly and different kind of scenery.
Thanks for the info. I don't plan to follow any set route slavishly so having to divert won't cause me too much emotional distress. It's more about the travelling than getting to the end.

gilespargiter

Veteran
I note that I have come into this thread a little late but I have also noticed you don't intend to embark on your tour until Sept. Also I don't know whether you are a person who books things well in advance and like B+B and where is the pub kind or an " I have got a general idea where I'm going, here is a good place to stop and anywhere is somewhere when I arrive, I don't carry the kit for nothing sort." As I tend to be.
Maybe these suggestions are completely irrelevant to you - but here are a couple of ideas.
It occurred to me that if you made your way to Shrewsbury, you could then use the Mid-wales railway to head towards Swansea, where it ends. This has about five trains/wk day starting at about 7am and the last at about 6.18pm. This passes through some very beautiful parts of Wales and many stations (halts) are request stops. So long as you avoid the first and last trains - particularly the first on Mon and last on Fri you are very unlikely to have any problem with your bike. It is a very personal service, to the extent for example, that as a local, I have several times paid them on my return because neither they nor I had change on the way out. I think, but am not sure that if, on the spur of the moment, you wish to get off and tarry a while somewhere they will let you board the following train and continue. If you wish to alight at a request stop you must make sure that you make your request to the ticket collector/guard on boarding - because if their is nobody on the platform it won't stop. You might find this a refreshing and interesting way of heading towards Swansea.

Also considering my previous mention of the disruption to the cycle route N of Machynlleth - but several ways round (if you happen that way).
As you move North of Llanidloes - following the cycle route round the western side of Llyn Clywedog; which is a lovely lane with (according to your camping stylee) a number of great places to discreetly stop. This is much easier to cycle than the B4518 road round the Eastern side of the lake, carries little traffic (not that their is a tremendous amount anyway) and IMO is far more scenic and interesting. Continuing along the cycle route, you then join the B road and turn left, slightly N of Staylittle.
A mile or so along the cycle route turns left and crosses the Plynlimon hill range, via Dylife to Machynlleth.
Instead continue straight on - more or less due N for Llanbrynmair. At Llanbrynmair continue N across the middle of Wales motorway (A470) over a staggered cross rd (L then R) up the valley, until you come to the A458 a mile or so W of Malwyd - turn L towards Malwyd and then right (on the middle of Wales motorway) to Dinas Mawddwy. This is the only crap bit, there is a lane which misses some of it; but whether it is worth it or not....
At Dinas Mawddwy turn R up the valley for Llanymawddwy continue N past this, up the incline, then bearing L through the Bwlch-y-Groes pass just before you crest the slope (a very satisfying mound of rock to stand upon, I find...).
Heading down the valley (NNW) to Llanuwchllyn - a little to the S of the southern end of Llyn Tegid to join the A494 (but you are returning to Manchester- so here is a particular place of choices for you.). However to continue this variation on one of my commuting routes:
Turn R onto the A494 at Llanuwchllyn (towards Bala) and turn L after 3/4 of a mile or so onto a lane. Here you ascend E into easier going very open hill country, unlike any other terrain on the described route so far. Perhaps reminiscent of the N York's moors.
Head across here towards Trawsffynydd, Turning R as you re-join the cycle route and descend to Trawsffynydd (if you find a Landranger map of the area blowing in the wind hereabouts - its mine!). Again crossing the middle of Wales motorway.
An interesting variation on the route here, is to follow the cycle track round the edge of Llyn Trawsffynydd. Which takes you across a number of loch and sluice gates right round the back of the nuclear power station (now being de-commisioned), where you can look in through the windows of the main reactor building. Thus feeling the experience of what Fukushima used to look like. Except this power station used to burn the more dangerous graphite fuel rods. It has had nuclear "incidents" which have dumped nuclear waste on the surrounding landscape. The bottom of Llyn Trawsffynydd has significant amounts of heavy nuclear sludge, which is gradually washing down the Porth Madoc estuary into the Irish sea. An eyrie, awe inspiring place I find. So incongruous amongst those hills. However I digress.
Continuing down the cycle path, onto the lane and descending to Gellilydan, at the head of the Porth Madoc estuary, again depart from the cycle route. This time to avoid the pointless and grueling switch back hills from Rhyd towards Beddgelert. Instead turn L along the Southern side of the estuary towards Talsarnau and Harlech on the A496. Before you get to either of these places, turn R over the toll bridge (free to cyclists - especially if you greet them in Welsh and stand in the middle of the road bimbling about going through your bags to find 10p while you hold everyone up!). shortly after this turn R for Penrhyndeudraedd across the A487 onto the A4085 crossing the steam rail line, towards Beddgelert.
Before Beddgelert at a hamlet called (its on the map I lost)... before Nantmoor is a lovely little lane on the right, this skips Beddgelert and goes round the back of some old copper mines up a very quite valley. It comes out just past the head of Llyn Dinas and below the foot of Llyn Gwynant crossing Nant Gwynant onto the A498 Beddgelert - Capel Curig road. Turn R here towards Capel Curig.
Across the end of Llyn Gwynant and beginning the ascent of the Llanberis pass towards Capel Curig.
At the turning for Llanberis, on the L, you again have a particular decision point. You could continue along onto the A4086 for Capel Curig and then turn R onto the A5 towards Betwys-y-coed for a short distance before turning L onto the lanes towards Llanrwst and then L onto the B5106 to Conwy where you could use the cycle path or board a train across the top of N Wales.
Alternatively, you could turn L on the A4086 and continue your ascent of the Llanberis pass, crossing the gap through Pen-y-pass and descending via Llanberis towards Bangor. Here you again have the choice of using the cycle route along the N Wales coast or boarding a train.
That is the end of my suggestion. It is a variation I sometimes use on one of my fairly regular commutes by cycle to a little S of Rhayader.
There are of course many variations on it. Have fun - whatever you do :hello:

gilespargiter

Veteran
My pleasure - I re-live the route as I write!
I also just thought of a little more detail:
When descending from Pen-y-pass towards Llanberis - after you have gone over one bridge and through a small village at the foot of the hill, just before you cross another bridge at the head of Llyn Peris is a footpath on the right. The beginning is through a gate next to a "wheelchair accessible" kissing gate (the sort that you stand your bike on its rear wheel to get through) on tarmac. It is a footpath but most of it easily ride-able. This takes you past the cottage where J.R. Tolkien was living when he wrote "Lord of the rings" it crosses the side of Electric mountain, where he used to walk, round the far side of Llyn Peris to Dinorwig.
Turn R on the lane towards Dieniolin then R to go up over the hill above Dieniolin and Bethesda and drop down to Tregarth.
Turn L on the B4409 in Tregarth, which is a cycle route, through Tregarth, over the bridge and L onto the cycle path which takes you past my back door to Porth Penrhyn on the edge of Bangor or onto the N Wales coast cycle path.

StuartG

slower but further
I used to ride between Carmarthen and Aberystwyth a lot. That has hills but not silly ones and has plenty of back road alternatives. Be very careful of terrain that only allows one route between A and B. There will be lorries, restricted width and blind twists and turns. A place you might not want to be.

Indeed the South West peninsular can give you some of the most varied and spectacular country. Think something like starting on the Gower, following the coast through Carmarthen to Haverfordwest/Broad Haven (aka little England beyond Wales). See the puffins on Skomer or the Georgian resort of Tenby or the tiny city of St Davids. Then across the Preselis to Cardigan and on via New Quay and Aberearon to Aberystwyth possibly taking in Barmouth and Machynlleth returning over the hills via Llandyssul to Carmarthen.

Just keep clear of the A487 and A44. They are amongst the most dangerous roads in the country.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Right. It looks like I'll now only have 5-6 days for my trip due to a pending house move.

I'm going to start at Chepstow and definitely cycle the Gospel Pass and I have to want to meet with family and friends at Hengoed (nr Oswestry) at the end. How does this route look in between? What things/places would anyone suggest seeing/avoiding without deviating too far from this.

Thanks for the help so far.

subaqua

What’s the point
here is a really good tip.

look up all the info you need online, then call places and double check. then rip up any plan you have because as soon as you get anywhere there will be another leaflet that nobody knew about giving the correct information.

thats my experience of 2 days back in Wales. God I am so glad i don't live here anymore

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
here is a really good tip.

look up all the info you need online, then call places and double check. then rip up any plan you have because as soon as you get anywhere there will be another leaflet that nobody knew about giving the correct information.

thats my experience of 2 days back in Wales. God I am so glad i don't live here anymore
LOL. Cheers. I'm planning to camp/wild camp most of the time so I'm not going to book any accomodation ahead. I just need to get a train ticket, check the bike, pack my panniers and the rest I'll sort out as I go. Just want to make sure I'm following a good route!

chrtho

I'm going to start at Chepstow and definitely cycle the Gospel Pass and I have to want to meet with family and friends at Hengoed (nr Oswestry) at the end. How does this route look in between? What things/places would anyone suggest seeing/avoiding without deviating too far from this.
Llanthony Priory on your way up to the Gospel Pass. You can camp in the farmer's field on the right for about 3 quid (facilities: 1 cold tap). And there's an underground bar in the cellars of the Abbey Hotel.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Well! What would you know? I've just checked out the route of Lon Las Cymru and it looks like the route I have devised is the LLC, until I get up to Gilfor when I plan to turn east. Will have to order the Sustrans book and maps now!

gilespargiter

Veteran
Personally, I would move your "E" stopping point to a little N of Machynlleth - Slightly N of Corris in fact (remembering the closure that may affect you) - because the ride from Rhayader to Llanidloes up the Wye valley along the cycle route is easy and scenic - not at all a days riding by the look of your distances. . . Also this will give you many opportunities for discreet camping just before you stop. The Plynlimon range to Machynlleth will make it a days ride.
Then move your "F" point to a little above Trawsffynydd - I think you may well be under estimating the hills here - from Barmouth to Oswestry is a lot of hills. By moving your "F" point above Trawsffynydd you are up the "killer" bit ,and again will have the opportunity to find loads of places to discreetly stop. In fact if you can go the extra mile and descend across the open bowl in the hills towards Llanuchllyn you will find some most delightful places to stop.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Thanks Giles. The lettered places are not necessarily stopovers but places I want to pass through on the basis of previous experience or recommendation. I'll likely be doing 50-75 miles per day except on the first day. I plan to stop at Llanthony Priory that evening as I'll be setting off from Chepstow after a train journey from Manchester. I'll look at changing the route as per your suggestions. It will still just be a rough guide and if something takes my fancy on the way I'll vary my direction quite happily.

gilespargiter

Veteran
Ok not quite familiar with the significators on these electric maps. Looks as if you do similar miles to myself when carrying all the camping kit. You also seem to take a similar attitude to your route as I do.
There are many places on that route where your attention could be drawn by something, I would think. Also many ways of getting more directly or less directly to Oswestry, I'am sure.
Seems you are already enjoying your tour of Wales!

Top Bottom