Walking in Road Shoes with SPD-SLs - is there something out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This kind of suggests that the SPD-SL pedal/shoe system is not really fit for purpose unless you are racing on a closed road or circuit. Bicycles, by their very nature (two wheels), usually require regular foot/ground contact and to make that contact so precarious is madness.

Still sounds like an unnecessary faff to me. I choose my cycling equipment to improve the experience, not to compromise the function.

To further illustrate the point of 'fit for purpose' in a rather extreme but perfectly relevant example, a work colleague of mine who is a keen'ish cyclist was out riding alone about 2 weeks ago when he got into a dispute with a motorist at a point where the road narrowed from two lanes to one. A verbal exchange followed and I won't go into the rights or wrongs of the situation but it turns out the motorist was actually Mr Psychopath and before he knew it the driver was out of his car and my colleague was on the ground receiving a battering!!!! He explained to me how he was just like Bambi on ice and just could not stay on his feet to defend himself due to the shoe cleats. I know this is (hopefully) not a typical scenario for most riders but it does highlight a problem and there are a 1001 situations where you may need to predictably or unexpectedly dismount from your bike and rely on remaining confidently upright for safety's sake.

I've never been remotely interested in clipless, but if I still harboured any glimmers of interest, this tale has buried them forever...
Eek.
:eek:

I've never been remotely interested in clipless, but if I still harboured any glimmers of interest, this tale has buried them forever...
Eek.
:eek:
Anyone with even an ounce of bike control / experience of riding would tell you that the advantages far outweigh the ( possible ) disadvantages, by a margin. Just as long as you have the correct type of pedal, for the type of bike / riding you’re doing.

Anyone with even an ounce of bike control / experience of riding would tell you that the advantages far outweigh the ( possible ) disadvantages, by a margin. Just as long as you have the correct type of pedal, for the type of bike / riding you’re doing.

Doesn't matter how you slice and dice it, it's a no-no for me, along with contact lenses and shellfish. And at my level of cycling, the benefit would be microscopic at best. Just another thing to spend money on that I don't need.
Not wanting to debate the pros and cons, it's just not for me...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've used both types of cleat and it comes down to practicality and aesthetics: if you're touring or off roading, SPDs are perfect. If you're riding a decent lightweight sports bike and don't plan on walking further than a cafe or a tree (for a pee) then SPD-SL is the right choice; stiffer shoes, a setup half the weight of SPD, just generally more aesthetically in line with lightweight minimal road cycling. Why spend money on a fast lightweight bike then encumber it with heavy touring equipment? You might as well attach a luggage rack.

Aesthetics are seldom mentioned on this forum but for me they matter.

Nebulous

Guru
I started cycling in 2010 wanted to try clipless and started using SPD-sls. I've never tried SPDs because I don't want to have the hassle of running two systems with extra shoes / pedals etc. I don't often walk about, cafe stops, shops, behind a tree etc are all perfectly manageable, the one drawback being mud or earth, which blocks the cleats and then you can't clip in. I only need new cleats about once a year. Sometimes I change them for a big event.

When doing an audax more people probably have spds than spd-sls from my observation.

However - I also do a fair bit on flats, on my commuter bike. I wear cheap leather trainers, with really thin soles, which goes against the idea you need stiffness and quite like the 'feel' of the pedal through the sole. I'm happy to turn out 30-40 miles like that, but haven't realy gone beyond that.

So I think you can get used to anything. There is a famiiarity of the known that is comfortable. There is also a bit about belonging. The series of clicks as the group unclips at a junction on a club ride gives me a modest degree of satisfaction. I'm happy with my own choices, without feeling the need to die in a ditch for them.

JhnBssll

Veteran
There's a lot of really good info and personal experience in this thread. Clearly both systems have benefits, and the SL'ers amongst us have almost persuaded me to try them :ohmy:

But not quite :tongue: One day I'm sure I will give them a go and roll them out across the road bike fleet but I feel like if anything is slowing me down right now its my belly, not my shoes or pedals :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you are new to road cycling, go and buy The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton. I think every aspiring roadie should read it because it explains a lot of the lore of road cycling, clubs and racing. It contains the best explanation I've seen for leg shaving, which as Seaton explains is as much about massage as it is about the aesthetics or road cycling. He says that if a cyclist turned up for a race with hairy legs he'd be laughed out of the peloton. It's about cleanliness, purity, precision, style and panache. If you've ever ridden with French or Italians you'll understand. British riders seem to view being smart on the bike as sinful but for me it's part of the allure of my sport.

The book is non-fiction and it has a shocking twist in the tale.

davidphilips

Veteran
The book is non-fiction and it has a shocking twist in the tale.[/QUOTE]

Just bought one from Ebay sounds great but please dont say what the shocking twist in the tale is.

freiston

Veteran
Why spend money on a fast lightweight bike then encumber it with heavy touring equipment? You might as well attach a luggage rack.
I think the description of touring equipment as "heavy" is a tad misleading and possibly used for effect. Shimano A520 SPD Touring Pedals at £44.99 reduced from £49.99 (Evans) weigh 315g compared with 300g for Shimano R550 SPD SL Pedals at £55.99 reduced from £69.99 (Evans again).

Edit/P.S. - If a cyclist is making cafe stops, then any small advantage in weight and stiffness of SPD-SL compared to a prudent choice of SPD equipment is likely to be lost with the extra time taken to walk in SPD-SLs or in putting cleat covers on ;-)

Last edited:

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
After having a Look cleat snap on a Sportive a couple of years ago(due to wear and tear/walking) I always use cleat covers now!

Top Bottom