Walking on the Gower Peninsular

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowwww

Veteran
We're looking for a destination for a week's walking at half-term next month.

We've 'done' the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, coastal paths round Cornwall and Devon quite extensively, and while we love Scotland and the Isles, it's a bit too far of a schlep for a week (we live in Surrey). My wife was brought up in the Midlands and so walked a lot in the Peak District and holidayed in Snowdonia and so that rules these out.

We're thinking about Gower as an alternative, but have never been. We're not talking major hiking as our 11 and 13 y.o. daughters would object to anything too strenuous, but 5-8 milers with good views and (ideally!) a pub en route.

Are we looking in the right area, or can anyone offer any better suggestions?

Proto

Legendary Member
Go a bit further, Pembrokeshire

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The Gower is lovely... Oxwich Bay is a good start. I've not hiked there, but stayed with a friend who used to live there

Salar

A fish out of water
@slowwww I'd go further west, Gower is picturesque, but can get busy.

Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire have loads of walks.

The obvious one is the Pembrokeshire coastal path which starts at Amroth.

You can dip into it anywhere and there is usually a pub en route.

If you pick Pembs/ Carms give me a shout if you need any specific info. (I live in the area)

Bring your bikes, Carms has miles of safe traffic free routes.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A beautiful area.........lots of nice coastal walks.
Cant recall exactly where but there is one place with an island within walking distance (at low tide). If you do it be very careful as the incoming tide comes through at a frightening speed as I found out on my walk back. Started off walking, then running, then wading to get to safety......phew!!

Salar

A fish out of water
A beautiful area.........lots of nice coastal walks.
Cant recall exactly where but there is one place with an island within walking distance (at low tide). If you do it be very careful as the incoming tide comes through at a frightening speed as I found out on my walk back. Started off walking, then running, then wading to get to safety......phew!!

Worms head at Rhossilli, also Burry Holms at Llangennith

Top Bottom