Walking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

Does anybody else lose weight with walking?

As well as my commuting and normal cycling I have started walking, every night I do a 5 mile walk before bed, it`s a nice way to unwind and I sleep really well when I do come back. Am I likely to lose any excess pounds doing this? I`m only a week into it so a bit early to tell.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
In terms of calories burnt, walking isn't that great. However if you are doing 5 miles each night before bed, its got to help.

Thoughts are that if you are commuting a reasonable distance, then your body is getting tuned to burning fat. Walking, being very aerobic, will also involve fat burning. And if you enjoy doing it, then it'll be an easy habit to stick at.

So, in summary? Not the quickest way to loose weight, but as long as you don't eat any more and keep doing it, it has to be an effective way of shifting those pounds. Just don't expect immediate results.

U

User6179

I don't lose weight walking but it is good for your heart and strengthens your bones and relaxes you plus it keeps the dog happy .

andyfraser

Über Member
I'd be interested to know that too. Back in 2009 I was able to walk to work. It only took me 30 mins walking briskly and I felt I was getting some exercise. I started cycling during the summer months which reduces me commute time to less than 15 min but I was convinced that I was better off walking briskly for 30 mins than cycling for less than 15.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I have never really lost any weight through cycling but it has made me a lot fitter.

Over the winter I have started walking quite a lot and I have also made a few changes with what I eat as well, I have cut out bread totally and swapped milk for lactose free milk and dropped just under a stone in 2 months. I don't know if it is the walking or the diet change but I feel a lot fitter and more flexible and less achy than I did.

Venod

Eh up
I'd be interested to know that too. Back in 2009 I was able to walk to work. It only took me 30 mins walking briskly and I felt I was getting some exercise. I started cycling during the summer months which reduces me commute time to less than 15 min but I was convinced that I was better off walking briskly for 30 mins than cycling for less than 15.

When I did work the walk took me 20 min, the cycle less than 5min going (downhill) 10min home, I enjoyed the walking more than the cycling and there was no getting togged up specially for such a short ride, I thought exercise wise the walk was more beneficial.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm beginning to think that a brisk walk every day would be beneficial in shifting the winter flab and toning up the cycling muscles. Just wish I had the conviction to go out and do it every evening!

Bodhbh

Guru
You can, but it's not very time efficient. Before I took up cycling I used to walk 4 miles each way to work. I definately lost weight vs driving, but it took an hour each way and not everyone can or wants to spare the time. I still do a couple of miles in my lunch break - I enjoy the change of pace to being on a bike - but I suspect it doesn't do much to help loose weight in the scheme of things (i.e. a 20mile round trip commute nowadays).

Audiobooks or music are a big help or I'm not sure I'd had the patience for it.

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
I'm certainly noticing I'm not walking 2 miles twice a day in whatever the weather is now as we had to put our dog to sleep over Christmas. If it's extra to what you are already doing, as it was when I started it, it of course helps. Just don't increase the cake and biscuit count because you feel you deserve it! :smile:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Does anybody else lose weight with walking?

As well as my commuting and normal cycling I have started walking, every night I do a 5 mile walk before bed, it`s a nice way to unwind and I sleep really well when I do come back. Am I likely to lose any excess pounds doing this? I`m only a week into it so a bit early to tell.

Have you thought of moving your bed closer?

I like walking and do daily with the dogs, and without when the mood takes me, but it doesn't seem to do much in terms of actual visible weight loss, I do feel better for a good stroll and hope it is keeping the lungs and arteries in better condition than couch potatoery would as well as the enjoyment I get from it.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Cycling is more efficient than walking. The main reason is that, in walking, you also move your body up and down. So unless you're doing some insane hilly route (in which case the bike weight starts to have a bearing on the calculation) then 5 miles walking uses more energy than 5 miles cycling

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
:cheers:
5 miles walking uses more energy than 5 miles cycling

That's because it takes 5 times as long! :smile:
Walking at a fast pace you could probably manage 5 miles in just over an hour, the same time on a bike might equate to 15-16 miles for the average cyclist. Betcha the hour's cycling would burn more calories!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Walking is great for lots of reasons, but there are easier ways of losing weight! Over the course of a year though it would probably take quite a lot of weight off you, provided that you didn't take in extra calories because of increased appetite.

I walked everywhere as a student, probably walking about 35-40 miles a week. I came out of university only weighing 10 st 10 lbs and very skinny. (I am 6' 1" tall and a medium build, so my natural slim weight is about a stone heavier than that.)

As soon as I graduated, I stopped the walking and started drinking more alcohol. I put on over 5 stone in 2 years!

Top Bottom